X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ-8 anyone?

I just acquired an 81 CJ-8 and now I wonder if there is anything I need to know in so far as "oh, its different here or there because". (other than of course the obvious length)

I had a 76 CJ-7 and assume most of the "mechanical" workings are exactly the same.

Any hints for me as I undertake my new project?

Dave

So far as I know, the only differences are in the bulkhead, the rear springs (some are stiffer than a CJ) and the gas tank (larger and configured more like a truck I think). As far as engine, trany and stuff like that, shuld be the same as a 7.

Comment

Cj-8

Well, it has a 15 gallon tank and I seem to remember thats what the CJ-7 had also. I'll check the springs & compair them. thanks.

Dave

Comment

He'll probably see this...

...91Red, but if he doesn't, pm scrambler013. I think he's pretty hip on your 'newsed' machine.

Comment

The only difference is the roll bar, rear fender flares and of course the length of the frame, rear wiring harness, driveshaft, brake & gas lines etc. The gas tanks are the same, but the hoses are longer on a scrambler.

Comment

Originally posted by 91RedRenegade
            I just acquired an 81 CJ-8 and now I wonder if there is anything I need to know in so far as "oh, its different here or there because". (other than of course the obvious length)

I had a 76 CJ-7 and assume most of the "mechanical" workings are exactly the same.

Any hints for me as I undertake my new project?

Dave

Welcome to the cj-8 following. Do you have any pictures?

Comment

pic's almost

Flying out to pick it up & drive back this weekend. Will put so pics up monday. This thing looks like its gonna be a ton of fun.

Scrambler, Fiberglass Tub, 350 V-8 (TBI), 44s & loclers both ends, 4.56s, Headers & flowmaster exaust, Tranny cooler, Full roll cage, Spring over with 2.5” lift, 3” body lift, 35x12.5x15s.

Dave

Comment

sounds perfect, besides the body lift. if all info is correct, that's probably far too much lift. i can't wait to see it though.....

Comment

Originally posted by 91RedRenegade
                  Spring over with 2.5” lift, 3” body lift, 35x12.5x15s

Thats about 11" of lift from stock!!! If the above is correct...just pull the body lift out and you should be alright.

Comment

Working...
                  X