X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a good price for an amc 360?

some guy around here has a 360 listed for $1000 obo...completlely rebuilt, warranty, 1500 miles on it, complete from oil pan to carb (rebuilt too).

i can buy a used one from a yard around here for about $400 i think...lots of miles though. how much to rebuild something like this?

First find out what his definition of "rebuilt" is.

Comment

Be careful with the junkyard 360 motors too - I drove all of the way across the state of Ohio to buy a low-buck AMC 360 from an 89 or so Grand Wagoneer for my CJ7. The guy said it ran but smoked a little ("valve stem seals" he said). However, when I tore it down, the #1 crank bearing was spun to oblivion, and a couple of the cam bearings spun so much that they could be pushed out of the bore by hand. So, what I had driven 3 hours or so each way for was a large, AMC produced boat anchor. The best machine shop / engine builder I know of couldn't save it, it was that far gone. The biggest shame of it was that the piston bores were absolutely beautiful - they didn't have much wear at all on them. So, even if you think the $400 junkyard motor is rebuildable - it might not be.

This isn't all a doom and gloom story, though - I managed to recover the cost by parting out the motor - Selling the valve covers and rods and pistons on eBay just about refunded the cost to me. However, I still come out behind when you consider the fuel costs involved in driving all of that way... Oh well, lessons are rarely free. "get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. "

Comment

Don't forget that the warrenty for the rebuilt motor by the engine rebuilder chains don't transfer. So if that is the warrenty you are talking about it will not work for you being the second owner.

Comment

Well.try to offer him like $800..and it would be good if you could hear it run ( ya didn't say if it was in a vehicle still) or try to get a money back deal from the seller..if it smokes or has any odd noises....
          Yard motor may be a deal if you're just lookin for something to drop in and run...sometimes they have a warrenty too.rebuild could cost $600 to $1200 depending on what you replace..and machine work thwt you have done....if you can assemble the motor yourself......
          Also watch the classifieds ... I bought a junk Wagoneer for $200 ....I got to hear it run, I even drove it AND i still have other parts to sell....
          You didn't say if you needed a motor NOW..or if it was just one for later....you could spend a little at a time and rebuild it RIGHT slowly .

Comment

I think a 360 complete overhaul kit is like $400 shipped on ebay, Plus your going to have to pay another $400 for the engine, then the machine shop costs on top of that, and then you have to put it all together, or agian fork out some more dough to have some one else do it.

I say talk to the guy with the "rebuilt" one and get more details about it. It's probably your best bet.

Comment

If the 360 is really rebuilt and is only 1,500 miles it is a good deal as long as they went with new pistons and cam. Its not so good for a rering and swapping bearings job with fizzy can for good looks! I'm curious about why he selling it with 1,500 miles on it. We get many people working on AMC V8's that don't know that you have to pack the oil to get prime. I've have seen people run a used engine off and on for over an hour with zero oil pressure and chase gauge/sender/wiring problems before they realize whats up. A
              boo-boo like that may not show up with a noise at first, but the real damage may be done. See if they'll pull the pan and a couple caps for you, and you could see if they did pistons and cyl. condition. At 1,500 miles it should have all the crosshatch marks visable.
              My advice is keep your eyes open, and take no-ones word when $money$ is involved. Good deals are only good deals if they come true. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by woody
                We get many people working on AMC V8's that don't know that you have to pack the oil to get prime. I've have seen people run a used engine off and on for over an hour with zero oil pressure and chase gauge/sender/wiring problems before they realize whats up.
                Im not exactly clear on what "packing the oil" is,a nd Im kinda curious, could you elaborate a little? Thanks Woody!

Comment

Sure I'd love to!
                  The AMC V8's have an oil pump that is in the front cover and the oil pump cannot pickup enough oil to prime the system(this is the same for Buick V6&V8 engines also) To build the prime for a dry system you have to pack the oil pump cavity full with Vaseline petroleum jelly. Then assemble gears, pump cover and oil filter. You cannot effectivly prelube with a drill, and I suggest starting engine right away and let run at least 5 min first time. Once you build the prime it holds till oil pump is dissassembled.
                  Its a Jeep thing I'm starting to understand, its not a Chevy!

Comment

Originally posted by woody
                    .....(this is the same for Buick V6&V8 engines also) To build the prime for a dry system you have to pack the oil pump cavity full with Vaseline petroleum jelly.......
                    trust this advice, i speak from experience. I buggered up (and nearly destroyed) my old buick 455 V8 by not following the manual (listening to my father-in-law) and packing the pump with vasoline. we ran it for probably 5 minutes total, 1-2 minutes at a time, until i decided to go against his better judgement. that motor had problems from then on.

Comment

Working...
                    X