X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC 360 head on 304

I have access to a complet 1973 360 out of a wagoner. The moter is set up but only had 70000 on it. My 77CJ7 has a 304 with 4bbl. and headers. I used to be into the older mopars and built a 318 with mopar 360 heads. It was a good combo with my 289/292 split duration cam. Will this work with the amc or is the combustion chamber wrong for the factory pistions? It seams like a wast of gass to run the 4bbl. When I open up the secondaries theirs very little differience so I disconected them. I don't plan on making an economy jeep but I want to feel the 4bbl do somthing besides wast gass.

AMC 304 V8:
    Bore x Stroke = 3.75" x 3.44"

AMC 360 V8
    Bore x Stroke = 4.08" x 3.44"

i'm not a huge engine internals guy yet, but those two aren't jiving, are they?

specs pulled from jeeptech.com

Comment

As far as I know, 360 heads do not fit on a 304 due to the larger bore in the 360 and the overlapping valves. Meaning that the 360 valves would overlap the 304 bore. Had a look when I had to rebuilt my CJ engine. Too bad...
      Last edited by Toralf; 04-20-2006, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Toralf is has the right answer on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Toralf
          As far as I know, 360 heads do not fit on a 304 due to the larger bore in the 360 and the overlapping valves. Meaning that the 360 valves would overlap the 304 bore. Had a look when I had to rebuilt my CJ engine. Too bad...
          Thanks, I was thinking the same thing but was not shure. A mopar 360 has a longer stroke than the 318. Thats why the bore size workes out in this case.

Comment

a 360 head will fit but if you have any kind of a lift on your cam the valves will hit just the cyl wall

Comment

360 heads

HEY FUZ 401
              Sooo did YOU put 360 heads on a 304?...cause I was gonna swap out my 304 for a 360...then the 360 was locked up....
              I think my valves are messed up do to unleaded gas....so as a quick fix I was gonna swap heads only.With a stock cam , prob pretty wore too...do ya think this will work? Until I can pullthe 360...It's from a '78 and my 304 is a 73...... thanx

Comment

i think there's a reason his screen name is fuzz401 and not fuzz304.

Comment

Working...
                X