Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good deal, or go tell this guy to pound sand?

I'm lookin to buy a CJ and I found a 1978 CJ-5 with an early 90's bone stock resto done on it witch seems to have been done quite well. It has a lot of stainless accesories on it, the engine and driveline have 54,000 original miles on them. The tub is glass but the rest of the body is steel. The guy is asking $5000 for it. Should I jump on it or tell him where to put that sand I was talkin about?

What motor??
    What trans??
    What diffs???

We need more details and even some pics wouldn't hurt.

High5

Comment

i am not sure about OH, but in TX,AZ,NV you can buy cj5's in great shape for 5k or less all the time. bottom line if it is what you want and looks/runs good then its a good deal.

Comment

where is the tub from? Is the floor reinforced with wood? Cracks in the tub means its glass?
        Give it a really good inspection.

High5 said it, we need more info.
        good luck
        jonny

Comment

it may be funny to tell him to pound sand anyway...

Comment

5g is the magic number here, seems like all Jeeps in good shape here in TN go for that, even some in not so good visual condition. if it looks like a Jeep in the condition you would see on a dealer lot, then I would say its a fair to average deal. again its what you want to go in with.

Remember if you are a true Jeeper you are gonna wanna mod it. factor that in when you price. if you are satisfied with the Jeep as-is, and you dont know how or desire to modify things like suspension,cage,etc. then go for it. If you are a student of the welding community or have a close set of friend who do, then I would say look for lower with not as much done, and build it yourself.

Always remember, Jeeps are built, not bought.

Comment

I got my CJ5 for 2k but needed engine work and tires so ended up about 5 by the time I was done.
              If you like it buy it but tell him $4,500

Comment

update

258, stock 4 speed, stock diffs and transfer case. The tub is from 4WD Hardware and it is FIBERglass. Sorry no pics yet

Comment

Dangle 3k or 3 1/2 in front of his face and he may want to deal. If he doesn't then start putting 20s or 50s in your pocket and tell the price keeps going down...then tell him to pound sand. And yes, just about any CJ in TX with an all steel body can be found for 5K or less.

Comment

I'm in southeast tenn. and your looking at 4-5k here for stock condition(if you can locate one that hasn't been butchered).

Comment

I bought my CJ-5 from a guy in Washingtonville, for 3k. It was 90% stock restore that sat in a barn for like 5 years, but the guy put a T176 and a Dana 300, behind a 258, which was awesome. It also had a 4wd fiberglass body and steel front end and windshield frame, It also had a solid frame. The stock suspenion was horrible to drive, so I had to replace the suspension. I have probably invested about 4k more into it. The only rust was on the bottom of the fender from a dent and the line on the hood where the guy forgot to latch the hood down. lol So we were in about the same boat.

If you plan on beating the Jeep offroad or whatever I would say pass on it and look for somehting cheaper, but if you gonna Cruise around town with the top down and stuff like that in it I say buy it up. The one thing it has going for it is the 54k Miles, but if the jeep is as nice as your saying, I say buy it.

Comment

If your wanting a trail rig one of the guys in our club has a cj5
                        with (im not positive) I think about 8 inches of lift and 33 to 36 tires
                        for around $3200 If you want i can get you in contact with him.
                        Also if you can post some pics of the cj your looking at it might help.
                        Check the frame and body mounts.

Comment

New info

I talked to the guy today. He said he let it go for $4500. Turns out it has a three speed tranny (not sure what model) and other than the rims it's bone stock. What I'm really looking for is a CJ that I can enjoy running intermediate type trails and still be able to street it. I don't want to only drive it on sunday afternoons when it's sunny, I want a jeep that will handle most off road situations but still be able to cuise home afterwards. I'll probablly put more street time on it than trail time so thats something I have to keep in mind too. I really appreciate any advice you guys give me since I'm just gettin started, and I'm not as knowldgeable about the details as I would like to be.

Comment

you don't have a jeep?

Gascan, you haven't purchased a Jeep yet? If not, I highly recommend that you start reading this forum like a crazy man. If it's a CJ you want, just start reading threads. I'd say at least half, maybe more, will have some little tidbit from one of the guys that will 'enlighten' you to what you're looking for. Right now the YJ's are probably the best all around deal as far as bang for your buck and they're darned fine Jeeps. Just keep reading and shopping. You'll find something to your liking. And welcome to the board.

Comment

Don't buy yet

Where are you in Ohio? I know where there are 2 really nice pretty much trail ready Jeeps. Both are in Holms County. (Amish country) One has a 360/the other I think a 304. I'll try to get you some specs and phone numbers today.

Comment

Working...
                              X