X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infamous Faulty CJ Gas Gauge

Everyone knows that the gas gauges on Jeeps are never right. Mine for example will read 3/4 of a tank right after I fill it, and when the needle hits empty, it means Ive used somewhere around 1/2 tank. As for guessing whats left of that other 1/2 tank, its like playing Russian Roulette. Luck of the draw. Its not a huge deal, Ive never gotten stranded, but I just put in a brand new sending unit, spedometer cluster, AND centach wiring harness a little over a year ago. It has always been this way, and there is no reason that it should be! It's just agrivating, and I want it to be right.

The only thing I can think of is to drop the tank, pull out the sending unit, and fiddle with the way that the float arm is bent. Any other ideas?

Accuracy...

...It's difficult through the entire range, UPJ. But if you want it where you can 'trust' it. Drop the tank like you said. Figure gallons with regard to tank size... I don't know if you have a fifteen or a twenty/one.

I 'calibrated' Myrtle for a quarter tank with two gallons to cheat. That means at empty I have two gallons. If you have a fifteen gallon tank a quarter tank should be ... crap... as Mithuth says, 7/5ths of the people don't understand fractions.

Man... ScREW that... I can't do fractions in this state... After you figure out the right gallons for a quarter tank with your 'cheat' thrown in. Bend the rod until it reads exactly one quarter of a tank. TAKE YOUR TIME... Slow response is built into the gauge in order to keep it from hopping all over the darned place. Calibrate...bend... the rod until it settles right on a quarter and ignore what it's doing at full after you set the metal tab at 'full'.

Empty and full are set by the tabs. The rod 'adjustment' does everything in between...

Man... I just got out the woods behind the house on a Friday night. I HOPE this helps...

Comment

I honestly just kept a screwdriver in the Jeep. Whenever I got out, I would tap the side of the tank with the handle of it. You could listen to the sound & tell about where the level was. That thing got between 4-10 mpg so it was parked by a gas pump at least every other day.

Comment

I have a 15 gallon poly. tank. I wish that there was some kind of directions with those sending units, it would have saved me the trouble of doing this twice. And surprisingly, for just getting out of the woods on a friday night, that really helped. Thanks alot!

Comment

hard core jeepers...

Originally posted by EvilTwin v2
          I honestly just kept a screwdriver in the Jeep. Whenever I got out, I would tap the side of the tank with the handle of it. You could listen to the sound & tell about where the level was. That thing got between 4-10 mpg so it was parked by a gas pump at least every other day.
          "I had an auxiliary heater under the driver's seat of my cj5 that kept me from getting too numb, but for the windshield, I kept a small ice scraper in the cup holder, and would occaisionally scrape the frost from the inside of the glass. I also kept a towel or rag & would wipe when it fogged."

Remember that?...

You and your hard core Jeeper advice...

Thanks, UPJ... I was having 'trouble' with that one...

Comment

...thats what fellow jeepers are for

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
              "I had an auxiliary heater under the driver's seat of my cj5 that kept me from getting too numb, but for the windshield, I kept a small ice scraper in the cup holder, and would occaisionally scrape the frost from the inside of the glass. I also kept a towel or rag & would wipe when it fogged."

Remember that?...

You and your hard core Jeeper advice...

Thanks, UPJ... I was having 'trouble' with that one...
              Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Comment

Working...
              X