X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Box Pics

I have been struggling with getting my Jeep controlled while driving down the road. I will be cruising along and the wind will blow a little and it will send me careening across the road. Sometimes, the Jeep will suddenly turn INTO the wind. I step on the gas, and I pull a little to the left; let off the gas and pull HARD to the right. It is driving my nuts.

So I was looking into a new steering box as I can't turn to the left as sharp as I can to the right, and the steering wheel is horribly sloppy; and I notice mounts listed online for the box that I do not have!

Can someone snap some pics of their mounted steering box from a few different directions so I can see what I am missing? I do have power steering.

Thanks in advance for your advice and pics.

I think I am narrowing the issue down. "Sloppy and wandering" would be how I would describe the Jeeps steering. I know the alignment is way off, but I need to get the front end a bit more dialed in before getting the alignment right. I have checked the bearings, and tie rod ends (they are new) over and over. So...

Today, I went outside and had my wife turn the steering wheel back and forth with the tires on the ground. I did the "place your hand on component test to feel for things that are wrong. Well, I guess I should have done this before. While sitting in front of the Jeep, she turns the wheel back and forth and there is no movement of the steering box that I could notice. The Gearing doesn't feel sloppy in and out of the box either. What I did notice more than anything was the fact that the pitman was moving back and forth as it was supposed to, but the tires were not moving. The whole Jeep was shifting back and forth! The front springs were flexing side to side. No wonder I am having steering issues.

So, I am ordering leaf spring bushings all around. I know I should have replaced all of them while doing the SOA, so don't say it! Sometimes we must learn the hard way. If there are any other suggestions, let me know. I did the YJ spring conversion, so I was thinking about getting different shackles for the front also. I did replace them with the conversion, but they just seem a bit...weeny. Let me know what you think.

Comment

I had this exact problem recently and threw a lot of $ at it. I was ready to change springs. Turned out the ball joints were almost completely seized up. Does the steering wheel not return to center when driving? I'd check the ball joints.

Comment

I did. I figure if I get rid of the 1 1/2 inch sway the body and frame have because of the bushings, the steering will tighten up a bit.

Comment

It might be as simple as tire pressure, or the need of a tire rotation.That made of big difference with mine and its wandering problems. I dropped tire pressure a bout 5 lbs. in the front tires and some improvment. May want to with that and work tour way to the exspensive stuff. Just my 2 pennies.

Comment

I had the same issue when i installed my widetracks and it was bad ball joints. My dads Scrambler is doing the same thing now.

Comment

Mines always done the same thing. Something to consider along with your bushings and tie-rod ends is your U-Bolts for the leaf springs as well as the length of your shackle. Make sure everything is tight (not too tight). Mine is Leaf over so I expected there to be some wonder issues on the street.

Comment

With spring over axle,, you likely should see a pro

Comment

If you have not bought a MORE or big daddy steering box mount yet, you should get it. It will secure the box to the frame and you won't have to worry about the cheesy stock brackets flexing and breaking. This is the big daddy version:http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=14598
                  http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...OL&w=200&h=200

Also look at your intermidate shaft the stock ones wear out quick. I am in need of another one my self.
                  I will go with the borgseon like this one the next go around:
                  http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...rtNo=BUC&w=380

Comment

47, I second Kelse’s suggestion about a steering geometry pro. Also, take a look at the following. Skip to the steering geometry part. Your SOA has changed your steering’s outlook on life . . . and the road.

http://www.dehesa4x4.com/osburn/tech/soa.htm

As far as the steering box brace, I am with Highlander. I used the M.O.R.E. brace which is very similar. The M.O.R.E. brace requires one extra hole in the front cross member. It’s an easy install.

Comment

I was there when Highlander's mount broke. He would know better than anyone, haha.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I am installing the new bushings today, and will see what kind of improvement that shows. I currently am sporting the Pro Comp steering box brace, but I will see this afternoon if it is doing it's job. The intermediate is a good idea, I'll look at it today.

I know that the SOA really messed up some geometry, but I am a geometry dork and thought I calculated it all out. I should have opted for the high steer, but I learn best through mistakes. I do have the rocky road "Z" bar, that will perform fine until the Jeep is taken off road, then I think it is the weak point. I will post up later today after new stuff is installed and I re-evaluate the steering.

Comment

Alright, no-one laugh at me.

I sat down in front of the Jeep again today to get a macro look at it. Then it hit me. My springs are mounted backwards. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but there it is. Tomorrow after church, I will attempt to spin them all.

Your laughing, and it isn't funny.

Comment

D'oh!!

Comment

yeah sorry, I'm laughing. Only because I could see myself doing the same thing....

Comment

Working...
                              X