X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cj7 & Hei

I have an HEI unit waiting to be installed and I read numerous web pages on how to install it. It has the correct drive gear from the previous owner I bought it off of and the correct plug wires.

I am just a lil confused on the single wire hook up, What do I hook the single wire up to? A constant hot (wich makes me think the engine won't turn off if its hooked up that way)? A constant hot when the ignition is on? I know it needs the full 12v power going into it.

I have a 258 with a holley carb. And I don't need to do the nutter bypass.
    This should eliminate my control module completley due to the CJ used to be a GM 151 4cyl and it didn't have one from the start till we did the engine swap.

Thanks for any insight. I did do a quick search on the forum and didn't find what I needed to know.

take the wire that currently goes to the coil and use it as your constant hot. make sure there's no resistor in the line.

Comment

I was just thinking of that wire, but I didn't think it would work due to being a small gauge wire. How do I test to see if there is a resistor in the line?

What about the 12v wire going into the ignition module? Could that be used as long as there isn't a resisotr in the line?

Comment

i used the hot wire from my coil, mine is a 1985 cj-7 with 258 no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff82cj
          I was just thinking of that wire, but I didn't think it would work due to being a small gauge wire. How do I test to see if there is a resistor in the line?

What about the 12v wire going into the ignition module? Could that be used as long as there isn't a resisotr in the line?
          This would be a good choise as there is no chance of it being a resistive wire. They all should originate from this point:
          http://www.dana60.com/76cj5/ResistiveWireSplice.jpg
          So if you want to add a wire, you can start from here without messing with the firewall plug.

Comment

Working...
          X