X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-build taking a long time

Hey everyone i have an opinion question for anyone that would like to put their two cents in. While the re-build of my 82 is going well its taking a longer time than expected... as it seems they always do. Im thinking about buying a newer jeep leaning towards a rubicon or a rubicon unlimited. I need to establish credit and buying a car seems to be the best way to do it. The car payment would not be a huge problem.... what would you do? Late model jeep not a rubicon a rubicon or rubicon unlimited? This should probably go in the wrangler forum but i would like to hear from the CJ enthusiasts

How long has your re-build been going on? What all needs done?

Comment

It started out as small upgrades here and there now i have the motor out and body ready to come off the frame. Its the original steel body and i want to check the frame for cracks, rust, ect. and upgrade suspension lift to 4 inch, 1 inch body lift, paint everything orange, linex the inside of body, just a whole lot to do. The small upgrades for about three years, the body off for about 6 months. Plus we got two race cars that take up alot of time and leave very little time to tinker with the jeep.

Comment

ya know, the have golden eagles now right?
        Get which ever fits your needs, which has what you want, what your going to do with it, ect. I am not really into building credit, so i don't know how that would work for ya.

The Wrangler forum would do you a little bit better as to the advantages of the new ones, specs ect.
        good luck though

Comment

Well...

I guess this is one you're going to have to try and figure out on your own, Joe. If money is no object with regard to finishing the project then get another Jeep. If you've been delayed from time to time because of bucks, well, that ain't gonna get any better with a monthly payment added to the scheme of things.

Comment

Stick with it man! Half-way through my restoration I almost gave up completely and sold my jeep in peices. I was at the same point, jeep was tore apart and needed to remove old engine and put a new one it. I'm glad I decided to stick with it. It's a great feeling to drive my finished CJ down the road and get lots of waves and stares from people. Not to mention I have no car payments on either of my jeeps which means more upgrades

Comment

I started off last October/November with wanting to just replace my body. That quickly turned around to a full frame off resto of some sort.

new brake lines and fuel lines, fix the rear of the frame from rot,strip and paint frame, etc, etc.

I'm wondering if I'll ever get my chassie done so I can start on the replacement body I have sitting in my backyard.

Unfortunately you can't rush a rebuild when you consider all the things that need attention. For me money is the issue, or I would be done by now.

If you have the space keep your CJ and work on it. If you have another vehicle to drive that is reliable then don't go out and buy a newer wrangler yet. If you try to sell your CJ as it is you might not get near what you want or could get out of it.

I don't really care to have my nice black 01 F150 outside durning hail season but I would much rather be able to say that I rebuilt my CJ by myself and it looks this good and works.

Keep working on it, don't quit

Comment

Ditto, Don't stop!

It took me a full year to do mine, and all I wanted to do was fix the frame rot in the rear! Then it turned into a full frame build up with me buying a newer clean frame, tub, fenders, seats....

Mine took sooooo long b/c I had my first son born last year, and that kept me from working on my CJ in my brother in laws garage.

I thought the same, by giving up and buying a Rubicon, but those don't come with leaf springs!
                Last edited by jeff82cj; 05-03-2006, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Hey everyone, thanks for the input and moral support. This weekend i am diving back in and working on the frame... still entertaining the idea of a newer jeep till i get the re-build done but it would have to be a good deal.

Comment

Keep pressing on to your next major point. Example just this week I was able to get all my plumbing in and drive line back on the frame. Tonight or tomorrow I'll finish the chassie and move it out of the garage and bring in the body. All I can say is the wife is happy to see progress.

Plan out your project in stages. chassie: Tear down, clean up, prep, paint, reassemble. Body: Locate new or used one, strip, prep, paint.

Don't look at it as one project but many smaller ones.

Keep going and you will get it done.

Dan

Comment

Hang in there man, You dont wanna sell it just keep chugging away on it. The satisfaction of completing a project yourself in the end is all worth it. It took Woody on here like 10 years (?) to complete his CJ-8, he would say it was worth it.

*Plus everytime you would see a CJ you would want to kick yourself in the ***.*

Things I did that could help you. Make a list of goals for your jeep, go crazy, then weed out the things that are finanically possible. Then make a to do list. List every little thing you can think of and tack it to the wall of the garage. Then cross off the things you finish everyday, so you get a sense of accomplishment, and not feel like nothing is ever getting done. Goodluck man hang in there.

Comment

*Plus everytime you would see a CJ you would want to kick yourself in the ***.* going

im not planning a rebuild anytime soon but that line would keep me going.

Comment

seat brackets [first timer ]

howz it going, this is my first log in. im doing a frame off build on a79 cj5. i've owned the jeep for 16 years.the build is going pretty good so far just waiting for parts and parts.im waiting for my fiberglass body kit to arive.i plan on putting the 401 back in her,new cam, rocker rollers, timeing chain, carb heddman hedders,power master,ron davis radiator the list go's on.the lift 4.5 rubicon extream duty,m.o.r.e. schackle reverse,bilsteine 51 50 shocks. I have plans on useing a woodward steering system quick disconect. anyone out there have an answer on what kind of seat bracket to buy i whant drivers side to slide, passenger side tilt.I baught beard seats just waiting for them. I don't have any bracket now.any help on everything wood be great, this is my first time doing this big of build.very pumped up though.this is a cool foroum.

Comment

The reward is there.....

y'all, i've got my jeep finally running since July 4th, 2005 when I bought someone's 'i give up project 78, cj7 v8 304', jeep and a 1982 parts jeep, and came up with a completed project.

Sure it takes awhile, but I tell you, when you are done, you will know every bolt and nut on the jeep. sure helps when something falls off. :-) You know instantly that you forgot to tighten that bolt all the way.

Anyways, take a look at the jeep in my signature line. I'm still 'fine tuning' it, like clutch adjustments, brake adjustments, but I've got 22 miles on my new V8 engine, and plan on having this baby for another 30 years.

Fiberglass and stainless, and just get it all together and running, and leave the 'non-essential' customization stuff til later.

The priority is get the thing together, running and on the road.

Making it pretty gives you some time later to enjoy each and every part.

Never give up! never surrender!

Comment

Originally posted by 1tuffcj
                              howz it going, this is my first log in. im doing a frame off build on a79 cj5. i've owned the jeep for 16 years.the build is going pretty good so far just waiting for parts and parts.im waiting for my fiberglass body kit to arive.i plan on putting the 401 back in her,new cam, rocker rollers, timeing chain, carb heddman hedders,power master,ron davis radiator the list go's on.the lift 4.5 rubicon extream duty,m.o.r.e. schackle reverse,bilsteine 51 50 shocks. I have plans on useing a woodward steering system quick disconect. anyone out there have an answer on what kind of seat bracket to buy i whant drivers side to slide, passenger side tilt.I baught beard seats just waiting for them. I don't have any bracket now.any help on everything wood be great, this is my first time doing this big of build.very pumped up though.this is a cool foroum.
                              http://www.prpseats.com/
                              this company has all kinda stuff regarding seats. The seats, the bracketry to hook em up, all kinda stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X