X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will not Idle

Just installed a new gas tank - after running out of gas!! Started right up with the help of some starter fluid, but will not idle! It runs if I keep the revs up, but dies below 1500 rpm. I replaced both inline filters, but that did not help. Could really use some suggestions as I want to get back on the road. Could it be the fuel pump?? Could enough junk gotten thru to the carb? Also, I did plug the two tank vent lines, which did not look like they were doing much, figured it could not have been this as it could not have built any pressure while still cold. This is an 84 Scrambler, 258, with I think a BBD carb.
    I would really appreciate any suggestions.
    This is my first post.

i rebuilt my bdd a gazillion times last year the idel tube keep getting cloged up,thay are just junk if you ask me and a million others out there,mite try the autolite 2100 it works well with computer bypass. i did this swap ,mine is 100 percant differance in the way my jeep runs.

Comment

Originally posted by 84-ATE
      Also, I did plug the two tank vent lines, which did not look like they were doing much, figured it could not have been this as it could not have built any pressure while still cold.
      I did that same thing to my CJ when it was completed a month back, twice I had to push it home down the street b/c the engine would cut out on me and not start back up (and Idle was a lil funny).

I ran a new vent line and everything has been fine since then, so even if this is not your problem, I suggest opening one of the lines!

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try - hope this works, as I'm afraid installing a new carb may be beyond my ability

Comment

you have to have vent lines to the tank. i'm surprised it hasn't collapsed yet. just make sure to put a check valve on it so fuel doesn't spill out.

Comment

Will not idle

Thanks all - it was the vent lines! Running stronger than ever!!

Comment

Originally posted by 84-ATE
              Thanks all - it was the vent lines! Running stronger than ever!!
              That was my same impression when I made new vent lines

Comment

Working...
              X