Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
new gears or tranny?? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new gears or tranny??

    a friend of mine has the amc 20 on his 79 cj7. What was the most common gears and options of this year?? he wants to go 4.88 or higher but would he need a new carrier?? Also does the standard ez locker still work with that setup??

    Same with the 30 front, does he need a carrier??

    Would it be cheaper to get a 700r4 in place of his toasted th350 to get some lower gearing?? Is the 700r4 going to fit in the place of a th350 or would that require all new shafts??

    Thanks

    Answer what ever questions u can

    Joe

    Oh, the 350 is backed by a 350....and the dana 20

  • #2
    i have a 79 and the gearing is 3.54 in mine. for the amc20, the only ratio that requires a sep carrier is the 2.73. all the rest are the same. but...the traclok carrier will not accept the lunchbox locker. i have seen them for the traclok, but they wont work with one piece axles..or something stupid like that. who would lock there axle with the two piecers?
    for the dana30 the carriers split at 3.54. so if he wants to go with 3.73s or higher he would need a new carrier.

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/amc20.html
      that tells you the code that written on the amc 20 axle to determine what gears your friend has. It all depends on which gears he has now that will determine if he needs a new carrier. Whatever the rear ratio is the front should be the same. I found that the cutoff for the AMC 20 carrier is 2.73 and numerically lower uses the same carrier and then everything numerically higher uses another carrier. And if you click on the Dana 30 link on that site above it tells you the cutoff that axle. I had 3.73 in originally and replaced them with 4.88s and was able to use the same carrier in both axles. A carrier is fairly inexpensive. Around $75 or so if I remember right.

      Cant help you with the tranny questions

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nuttzach
        i have a 79 and the gearing is 3.54 in mine. for the amc20, the only ratio that requires a sep carrier is the 2.73. all the rest are the same. but...the traclok carrier will not accept the lunchbox locker. i have seen them for the traclok, but they wont work with one piece axles..or something stupid like that. who would lock there axle with the two piecers?
        for the dana30 the carriers split at 3.54. so if he wants to go with 3.73s or higher he would need a new carrier.
        One piece axles will work with the trac-loc carrier. It just wont accept a lunchbox locker. I found out the hard way. Lockright is still sitting on my counter.

        Comment


        • #5
          The 700-R4 is longer than the Turbo 350. Does he want lower gearing for off-road? Is this a trail only CJ? Since the Turbo 350 is in need of a rebuild, he can stick a lower 1st and 2nd gear in it or put a 700-R4 planetary unit in for an even lower gearing. Then of course you could always stick the Terra Low kit in the Dana 20 transfercase. None of this is cheap but it would allow for better gearing off-road while keeping the on-road gearing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 80cj5
            One piece axles will work with the trac-loc carrier. It just wont accept a lunchbox locker. I found out the hard way. Lockright is still sitting on my counter.
            yeah thats what i meant.....i know that they make a lunchbox locker that will fit into the trakloc carrier but the locker wont work with the one piece axles, thats the powertrax no slip.
            the lockrite is the one that wont work in the lsd carrier that we both have.

            pg 211 of the new 4wdh book shows the differences.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nuttzach
              yeah thats what i meant.....i know that they make a lunchbox locker that will fit into the trakloc carrier but the locker wont work with the one piece axles, thats the powertrax no slip.
              the lockrite is the one that wont work in the lsd carrier that we both have.

              pg 211 of the new 4wdh book shows the differences.



              GOOD JOB ON DIGGING UP THE HARD EVIDENCE, STATBOY

              HAL

              Comment

              Working...
              X