X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock tach

Is there anyway to use the stock 6cyl tach? Or do i need one for an 8cyl.At 55 mph it reads 3k, when it should only be a round 1600.This is after a 350 swap

My aftermarket tach had a switch inside for 4,6 or 8 cylinder engines. I had to actuallyopen up the casing of the tach to get at it. I don't know if factory tachs have this or not.

Comment

Originally posted by 83cj7skip
      Is there anyway to use the stock 6cyl tach? Or do i need one for an 8cyl.At 55 mph it reads 3k, when it should only be a round 1600.This is after a 350 swap
      That's still way off even if the tach is for a 6 banger. It should only be reading around 2400 RPM.

What ignition system are you running on the 350?

Comment

touchy Tach 78 - 82

I was just going to post a question, then I saw yours. I've got a 1982 in dash tach that was working just fine in the '82. Well, by 78 Cj7 rebuild has a 304 v8, 3 speed tranny, and I really want to use it instead of buying a 50$ or more tach for the v8.

I've tried to hook it up, but have heard that the 82 tach was somehow integrated within the inigition system instead of having a power to the tach and the (-) hooked to the coil.

On my '82 in-dash tach, I've got two wires. 1 red with white stripe, and another 1 red solid wire. I've got a yellow wire from my (-) coil, but I am not sure how to set this up. I've tried to hook the yellow to one of the red and the other red to power, like say the battery, and either it doesn't work, or the engine stops running. (i've had the engine running when I do this, and I'm really worried that if I continue with this trial-and-error that something will really blow!)

So if you want to use the '82 tach ('cus 4wd has one listed for 76 - 86), how do you set it up?

'got to have tach!

Ideas o from the world of jeep guru's out there?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
          That's still way off even if the tach is for a 6 banger. It should only be reading around 2400 RPM.

What ignition system are you running on the 350?
          HEI... with 2.73 gears and turbo 350 and the dana 300

Comment

I looked inside of mine 'tach from the '82' and it just has the two red wires (one with a white stripe). The wires looked to be soldered on to the casing, so I didn't tear into it any more.

Seems such a waste to not use a perfectly good 6 cyln tach on my rebuild and have to buy another one. I thought this was jeep world?

Anyone hook up these two wires and get them working on a v8?

Appreciate any ideas on this.

thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X