X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle swap?

Excuse me if this is a dumb question but I'm new to jeep's. I tried doing a search with little results on this.

I plan on doing a SOA with a 4" lift. My question is how hard is it to swap cj-5 axles to a d-44 and a gm 12 bolt rear ie. steering issues, driveline angles, driveshafts, and anything else?

Should be pretty easy. The biggest thing is that you will have to weld the new mounts on to make sure that the driveline angles are good. I have not personally done this, but know some people that have swapped axles in and it really isn't all that difficult.

Scrambler

Comment

SOA with a 4" lift? Thats alot of lift for such a short drive shaft length. Your rear drive shaft angle would be completely insane! I bet your would need a CV joint ob both ends to make it work.

Comment

Yeah, that's like 9 inches of lift. An awful lot for a short wheelbased Jeep. Going to be pretty tippy. I have heard that you should "outboard" the shackles for better stability. Meaning like they are on full size trucks.

High5

Comment

That's why I was wanting to take wider axles from a gm to make her high and wide.

It is going to be for street and mud/sand.

Comment

Well, be carefull because at that height, you'll be apt to tip over backwards!

Steering will be the big deal in that conversion, a high steer setup will be a necesity, and may be quite a pain in the end.

I saw a set of rockwells in the for sale forum a while back, since you are going that high, might help to have some weight on the bottom to keep her upright.

Comment

Working...
            X