X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• droping gas tank

Before I screw somthing up I figure I would get ya'lls input. I need to replace the sending unit on my 83 cj (20gal tank). When I started to drop the tank I noticed that all of the hose clamps are facing inward. You can't unscrew them. My question is - is there enough slack in the rubber hoses to the sender to drop the tank a good bit? or do i need to try and cut those line to keep from breaking the metal ones? Thanks in advance.

razor...

...or something sharp. Cut 'em off and replace all of them. Heck, they're twenty-three years old. You don't want something that inexpensive to make you have to go back.

Comment

I've done this a few times now and here's how I do it. Put a bucket or something tall under the tank and drop the tank onto it. Remove the hoses and remove the tank the rest of the way. Pretty simple. There was enough slack in my hoses to drop the tank almost a foot. You should only need to drop the tank enough to get your hand up there anyway. Try and get as much gas out of the tank as you can before you start to drop the tank. It makes it alot easier.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks..I was planning on replacing lines anyway but i can't get my hand even close to cut them....if there is at least 3-4" of slack it will be fine. Just wanted to make sure they were not tight. Don't want to put too much pressure on the metal line since they run above the crossmember right at the tank. Thanks again!

Comment

Ueland would say "get out the sawz-all"

Comment

gas tank problem

I have an 84 cj-7, I just used my floor jack and made a simple and on mod...,but also had to cut off all the bolts on the side facing the front.
            Also make sure you get the right sending unit, I have a factory plastic tank and had a hard time with the unit bending it and not braking the connection, point's
            caribbean cj-7

Comment

i use a motorcycle jack.

Comment

Working...
              X