X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Swap?

I have to (shudders) pay a shop to swap out a 258 and put in a 360 in my 84 CJ-7. I have no means of swapping it myself due to space, not having a hoist, etc...

I know, labor stinks. But, in your honest opinion, how many hours do you think it should take to do a swap like that if I provide all of the parts?

Thanks.

I ran in to the same issue, plus the fact that the money I had ito this project I wanted some one with more experince. I paid 750 to do a 258 to 304 swap. Did a good job, as far as i can tell jeep runs good. I gave him a rebuilt block and all the parts, and he gave me back a running jeep.

Comment

Oh my... that's daylight robbery. I don't understand how it can cost so much to simply swap an engine... geeze, I may be better off buying myself an engine lift and renting a garage for a day and doing it myself.

Comment

better to do it yourself that way you know it is done ,at least. and you will save cash. i am becoming a believer as i am my own jeep mechanic, well... and, of course the board has helped tremendously

Comment

Right, I know it is better to do things yourself. But, in my case, that is just not possible. I'm still having difficulty seeing how it can possibly take 13 hours for a good mechanic to swap out an engine. :-/

Comment

apples to apples...

Originally posted by Tangible Demise
            Right, I know it is better to do things yourself. But, in my case, that is just not possible. I'm still having difficulty seeing how it can possibly take 13 hours for a good mechanic to swap out an engine. :-/
            You may not have as much trouble believing it if you try it yourself, Tangible. Remember that you aren't asking him to change out an apple with an apple. Sit down and do some hard practical studying on all the 'little things' that are necessary. Also, you can contact other shops and see if the hour estimates run along the same lines.

Comment

The actual removal of the old engine and install of the new isn't the issue. It's things like re-wiring, relocating fuel lines, changing motor mounts, radiator etc. that cost time and money. That estimate seems pretty feasable.

Comment

One good thing is that the radiator blew out and had to be changed about a year ago... as it sits now, I already have a 3 core radiator in it so that should be fine.

I do have two major questions that could pose a serious problem, if I find a way to do the swap myself:

1) Will my driveshafts need to be lengthened? And if so, how do I go about getting that done?

2) Will the exhaust manifolds on the 360 work in a CJ-7? The 360 is coming out of a J20 pickup...

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I've been reading the same places you have about this swap, since I'm still looking at roughly the same thing. Saw somewhere the suggestion of stock CJ V8 manifolds to keep the drivers side outlet away from the clutch linkage.
                  The 360 I'm looking has a 727 and Dana 20 on it- that's what the current owner says. How much longer is the 360/727 than a 258/whatever I got tranny? I think this weekend is a good time to get under there and see what's there fer sure.

Comment

I've done a few in my life time. the last swap I did was in a 74 Dodge charger I pulled out a burnt 318 and 904 tranny and dropped in a Hipo 318 and 727 long tail. I did it alone, outside with a cherry picker. It took me 2 days. Buy sunset on Sunday the engine was running and all that was left was to Measure the drive line for a custom driveshaft. When I was done it would blow of 340 Cudas. Hey I just remebered I still have the old tranny,,,,, anyone want it ..........free

Comment

Just remember if you find a shop that can do it dirt cheap it usually means you will go back and repair what they broke. And they most likely have no idea what is involved with the swap.

Comment

My only real question is whether a 727 from a J20 will bolt right up to the Dana 300. If not, I might as well go look for a TBI 350 and tranny and buy the adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangible Demise
                          One good thing is that the radiator blew out and had to be changed about a year ago... as it sits now, I already have a 3 core radiator in it so that should be fine.

I do have two major questions that could pose a serious problem, if I find a way to do the swap myself:

1) Will my driveshafts need to be lengthened? And if so, how do I go about getting that done?

2) Will the exhaust manifolds on the 360 work in a CJ-7? The 360 is coming out of a J20 pickup...

Thanks for the help guys.
                          My swap I did myself. But I put in a 304 from the 258. My 304 is running stock exhaust manifolds and it is ok. I'm pretty sure the 360 and the 304 run the same manifolds and it should be ok. It is tight around the clutch linkage but again it is ok.

It is not really a "simple" swap. You do have to replace or at least modify your engine mounts (I just bought new ones). It is easiest to do the swap if you remove the front grill and both fenders. You have to relocate your fuel lines. The 258 has the fuel lines on the passenger side whereas the 304 and 360 are on the drivers side. I just used a rubber hose and ran it up over front top of the engine (not the cleanest way to do it... but it works and doesn't look that bad).

Driveshafts will depend on what tranny and transfer case you had and what will be going to. I had to have new driveshafts b/c I changed my tranny. It is easy to get new driveshafts. There was a local shop here that did it for me. They made me the length I needed. The hardest part is getting the measurement right. You give them the measurements and they make the driveshaft. You can find plenty of places online that can make you a driveshaft for any length you need. Most of those sites tell you what measurements they need too.

Also your wiring harness may have to be switched. I switched mine b/c I was going with an older engine (to get away from all of the computer stuff). I had an '83 258 and put in a '76 304. Much simpler to deal with no computerized anything. So I got an older wiring harness to match the '76.

So there are a lot of "gotcha's" with this "simple" engine swap. There are plenty of "unplanned" hours in a swap like this. And it may not be as simple as renting a garage and buying an engine hoist. You need to be completely honest with yourself as far as your knowledge and ability (I don't know you or know how much you know). I had some help from some (non-jeeping) friends and we still never got it completely right. I ended up having to tow mine to a garage and let them "finish" it. I honestly believe that I have learned enough about my jeep since then and have gathered enough books and info and tools and stuff that I could do it now... but back then I didn't know nearly enough to complete the job. And so sometimes knowledge (and experience) costs money.

Good Luck.
                          Last edited by jeffm3434; 05-23-2006, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I've read numerous posts on here and a few other places that tell me the 360 will mangle a T4 tranny. Will a T170 hold up? Right now I'm not sure what I have- I've poked around under there a bit, and from the ID stuff in the catalog, I think it's a 170. Thinking of selling the tranny/tcase after I get it to help with the unseen expenses you guys are warning about here...

Comment

Originally posted by 84MSRB
                              I've read numerous posts on here and a few other places that tell me the 360 will mangle a T4 tranny. Will a T170 hold up? Right now I'm not sure what I have- I've poked around under there a bit, and from the ID stuff in the catalog, I think it's a 170. Thinking of selling the tranny/tcase after I get it to help with the unseen expenses you guys are warning about here...
                              I've got a T176 behind my 304 and have had no real problems. I think this is a fairly common setup.

"The Tremec T176 is a medium-duty 4-speed transmission that was used behind the AMC 258 I6 and AMC 304 V8 engines in Jeep CJs from 1980-86 and Jeep full-size vehicles from 1980-87."

"The Tremic T177 and T178 are medium-duty 4-speed transmissions that were only used in full-size Jeep vehicles from 1980-87. The T-177 and T-178 were not used in CJs, only in other Jeep trucks."
                              Last edited by jeffm3434; 05-24-2006, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X