X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lift kit???

I am about to put a lift on my '83 CJ7, since I have never bought a new lift (always robbed off of other cj's), I wondered if you guys could give me your opinions... I want 4"-6", cheeper but not junkie. What is the best brand/type to go with for the price...Thanks!

Buy new shackles (not included in most kits) with whatever kit you buy. I have 4wd kit and swear by it. I don't work here either. I would also replace your spring plates all the way around as many have a "slight bend" the shock mounts from abuse. When you get new spring plates, get the kind with ubolt protection (a skid plate welded to the bottom) for the fronts at least, and get the two bolt versions so you can add a stablilzer bar later (if you don't have one). If your budgeting....don't forget the stuff you have to fix because of the stuff you changed. Like bump stops, bushings, stabilizer extensions, alignment (to center your wheel from the change in angle), pinion seals, driveshafts etc. But you know all that, I saw your other post

Comment

Being as you are on a 4wd.com site, I would say 4wd.com. I have their 2.5 inch lift and I think it's great. I think you will probably get a bunch of different answers here since lots of people have lot's of opinions. It made a world of difference in the ride of my 75.

High5

Comment

i just put on a procomp 4 inch yj kit on my cj-7, i am happy with it so far but would have to try out all the rest to see what is the best, my kit was complete and will try out another in next year or so,depends on how long it lasts,my friend had this same kit and pounded the heck out of it and it lasted only 1year... i mean he realy rode that suspention to death. mine will probly last about two years as i am not looking to kill my jeep just yet.

Comment

I have the 4wd 4" lift, It rides really good now. Takes a couple wheeling trips and some road driving to break in, but after that it is great. I say you cant beat it for the price and the completness of the kit.

I would definately by new greasable shackles, and longer brake lines.

Comment

lift

If you are wanting to go taller than 4", you might think about a spring over using YJ leafs. You'll have to have perches welded on the top, and the usual stuff to replace when going higher; shackles, U-bolts, shocks, brake lines, pittman arm, and possibly modify your steering set up. The upside is that if you can do it yourself, you can probably find some used springs for cheap or free and not have a bunch of money (+-$300) in the completed project. It will be MUCH more labor intensive than a standard 4" spring under, though. Good luck.

Comment

Look up spring over. In the long run, it's not cheaper or easier than spring under. There are a lot of parts to buy and a lot of fabrication to do. I have just done a spring under and the hardest part was getting the U bolts off. Grinder fixed that problem.

High5

Comment

If you are wanting to go taller than 4", you might think about a spring over using YJ leafs. You'll have to have perches welded on the top, and the usual stuff to replace when going higher; shackles, U-bolts, shocks, brake lines, pittman arm, and possibly modify your steering set up. The upside is that if you can do it yourself, you can probably find some used springs for cheap or free and not have a bunch of money (+-$300) in the completed project. It will be MUCH more labor intensive than a standard 4" spring under, though. Good luck.
                I don't want to be a big meanie here but...For a first post it may not be advisable to suggest an upgrade like a SOA so lightly, especially to another person fairly new to the board. This type of recommendation can become dangerous if taken too lightly by the wrong person. That said, I don't know either of you guys' experience levels or mechanical aptitude so please bear with me.

I don't have an SOA (but have looked into them several times) and I know there are guys on here with waaaay more info on the subject than I have. In doing a SOA properly, which includes hy steer in my opinion, it is not necessary to replace the pitman arm and the shackles are fine at stock length provided they are not worn out.

As for the cost, again if done right in my mind, it will exceed $300. Good stainless brake line kits aren't cheap and neither are shocks. Don't forget about lengthening driveshafts and if you are going huge on tires its a good idea to upgrade the brakes. IMHO SOA lifts should be done either by a competent shop or by someone with a realistic timeline of what is involved in this sort of upgrade and the knowledge / fabrication skills to undertake such a project. An SOA is not something you wwant to nickel and dime on.

Again, not trying to rag on anyone, just want to make sure the dawg can make an informed decision.

And for what its worth, I run a 4" BDS lift (same springs as the 4wdh kit) and I love it.

Cheers and have fun with it while you can.....it turns to frustration soon!!!

Comment

RE sells a good cj lift the 4.5 will give you around 5-6 inch's of lift and it will also give you the wide yj springs and comes with everything you need to get it done, brake lines, sway bar discos

yes there are cheaper lifts, and RE looks expensive up front but it well worth it because of what you get,

Comment

Another lift thread http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=735435

Comment

jeepwhore...

good post...

Gnarly, your pm box is full.

Comment

Like stated before....if you have a welder and some fab skills a Spring Over is the way to go. I went SOA last year and I wish I had done it years ago! I used stock CJ rear springs (front and back). The ride is great both on and off road. Of course you can slap on a 4" lift "kit" on in a couple hours. Fabing a SOA takes just a little longer.

Comment

Thanks for all the input everybody. I wanted to go SOA but have heard alot of negatives. I dont think I would have any problems doing it (been welding and working on trucks for years), just wasn't sure if it is the safest way to go. Once again thanks for the opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwater
                            good post...

Gnarly, your pm box is full.

Cleared it out. Mail away!

Comment

Originally posted by SD Boy
                              RE sells a good cj lift the 4.5 will give you around 5-6 inch's of lift and it will also give you the wide yj springs and comes with everything you need to get it done, brake lines, sway bar discos

yes there are cheaper lifts, and RE looks expensive up front but it well worth it because of what you get,
                              I second this opinion!

I've had my 4.5" RE kit for almost a year now. I like it more and more every day. And the kit is ALMOST a complete kit. You only have to buy new shocks. I went with the RE monotube shocks and I like them too.

The perks to the RE kit is that you do get more than the "advertised" lift. I got nearly 7" of lift from mine from where my jeep was (mostly due to how worn out my old original suspension was). It has only settled about an inch from that though. Also, the kit comes with shims for the rear axle, swaybar disconnects, transfer case lowering kit, stainless brake lines, new greasable shackles, drop pitman arm, and you get the wider front leaf springs. (Most other kits require you to buy something extra.) Like I said, you only need to add your own longer shocks. The kit came with good instructions (although it would not be hard to do without instructions if you have even limited mechanical ability). With good air tools, I think the entire kit can be installed in less than 5 or 6 hours by yourself. With help... probably less time. It took me two afternnons to do mine. But I was in no huge hurry.

The RE kit is not the cheapest you can find... but I would bet it was one of the best. I have yet to see or hear anyone unhappy with their RE kit.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X