X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle swap

i plan on swapping a d44 from a 75 cj5 into my 78 5 should this be a direct bolt in? i know u bolts will have to be changed but are there any other issues i should be aware of before i lay in the mud. also will the 4.27 gears be enough for 33's behind a 304 3 sp. jeep has 3.55 now and is a dog

you will have to move the spring perches out or make new one the 75 springs are not as wide as the 78 springs and the bottom plate will have to be adjusted for the new u bolts

watch the factory axels the splines will twist under real hard use - for 333.00 moser will make new stronger axels for that rear what I did

Comment

thanks for the response. i may just regear the 78. don't have the expertise to mess with moving the perches.for the type of wheeling i do the amc 20 should hold up. mostly a hunting rig

Comment

Originally posted by junker
        thanks for the response. i may just regear the 78. don't have the expertise to mess with moving the perches.for the type of wheeling i do the amc 20 should hold up. mostly a hunting rig
        that's what i would do. the 20 is a strong enough axle for that kind of use. throw in a 1 piece axle kit, maybe a lock-right, and call it good.

i've been running that setup (although i've got an auto) on my rig on some fairly tough trails (with 3.54 gears!) and my jeep seems happy as a clam.

Comment

Working...
        X