X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaky aftermarket valve cover

My 258 had an aftermarket (Clifford) valve cover on it...problem is it leaks bad aroung the oil fill cap. I have tried to find another cap, but they all fit loose. Do I need to replace with a new valve cover/cap or is there a cap out there somewhere that plugs tight?

have you checked with clifford to see what they recommend?

Comment

it might work...

you might try an O-Ring... stretch it over the cap....

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
        have you checked with clifford to see what they recommend?
        They recommed I buy a new valve cover set from them. $25 is not much but I don't want to spend it to find out that the new cap is loose too.

Comment

if it were me i'd try driving to NAPA. if you take the jeep with you, they can possibly measure it and order what you need if they don't have it in stock.

Comment

I have an aftermarket cover as well that leaks once the engine gets up to operating temp. The heat from the engine hardens the rubber plug after a while and allows the seal to deteriorate. I was thinking of getting a small bung from some kind of barrel and threading the hole in the valve cover to match it. Still have to look into it further though.

Comment

Check to make sure the breather tube running from the air cleaner into the valve cover is good and has no holes

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike
                Check to make sure the breather tube running from the air cleaner into the valve cover is good and has no holes
                Not the problem Mike, but you got me thinking. I opened the aircleaner and there was oil in the bottom. Removed complete assy and noticed that the pcv valve line that had been replaced with some junkie little tubing, had gotten too close to manifold and softened up and colapsed. Replaced with some harder tube this morning and the leak is practicly gone. The cap is still loose but the leak has been greatly reduced. Can't believe I didn't check that before posting. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                X