X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T 176 tranny troubles

My T176 tranny was rebuilt and a new reverse gear put in it....when i go to shift to reverse or sometimes into 2nd or third the shifter Pops out and i have to take it out and wiggle it till it goes back in then button it back up and its good....is this the shifter or the forks or what ??? Thanks for the help!!!
    Sam

This is a very common problem with these shifters. Mine does it too but mostly when trying to shift into reverse. Although when a few other people have tried to drive my jeep they have screwed it up trying to go to other gears too. Eventually you get pretty good at "popping" it back in place. You can search the forums for some info. This has been discussed before.

EDIT: Sorry I just did a search for the specific thread I was thinking about and it seems as though that thread happened before the "hack" of the forum (a bunch of threads were deleted).

I think some people said it was a shifter fork problem. I don't know for sure in that I have never tried to fix mine... I just learned the "feel" of the tranny and keep it from happening.
    Last edited by jeffm3434; 05-25-2006, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I had a similiar problem with mine a few years back. I replaced all the shifter forks and it's been shifting great ever since. It was real easy, took the top plate off the tranny with all th forks on it and replaced all of them in less than an hour. Cost less than $100 shipped from 4wd.

Comment

Aloha to the board , that sounds like a good place to start . i am having the same problem this past month. i wonder how much is shipping to honolulu hawaii?

Comment

Ask 1TUFFCJ. I think he just had a jeep shipped part by part to him.
          He just built a CJ-5.

Comment

what now?

it looks like my t176 shifter top plate is waring out you know where the stick and ball drop into the trany top cover? it is all wore out and may be binding as well. any ideas? i was thinking that i could get an aftermarkit shifter like b&m or something and are thay any better than the original? i tried to search but not finding the thread. anyway thanks for any help.....

Comment

Try Collins Bros website they might have one. Other than junk yards you will most likely have to go with aftermarket.
              Might also want to try Davey's jeeps and parts.

Comment

thanks penguin, ill check it out

Comment

jsut to let ya know, Collins Bro's is kinda hard to navigate...be sure to try all the options to get to the pages ya want...theres way more on there than you initially think (at least that was my expeirence)
                  Last edited by the Captain; 08-12-2007, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I don't think there are any B&M or other aftermarket shifters for a T-176. Those only fit the T-5 and T-4.

Your going to have to replace the parts with simular OEM parts. And even those you will find are made from thinner material than the original.

Comment

on the road again

yes captain the collins site is a bit harder than others, i just go to the order on line in brown on the left of the screen. you know another good site to go to.. it is a good way if nothing else to identify your parts.. The name is morris 4x4 center. try it out... well john i did a search and could'nt find an aftermarket shifter for t176. I did however weld and grind on the shift stick and it took care of alot of the probem. I am at least happy now that i can drive around in once again.

Comment

Working...
                      X