X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not 5.0?

After my insane amount of reading regarding engine swaps, I have to ask- why are there so few swaps of the 5.0? Seems like a lot less doodads to buy, and a much simpler bolt up.

I think fords are more expensive to build, but I have heard you can get more power out of them. Also, with my T 18, I don't think I can bolt up to a ford motor. It's a Jeep T 18, not Ford T 18.

High5

Comment

I have a ford t18 in my jeep, and it bolted right to the T150 bell housing, b/c the T150 is a ford transmission. If you have the right bell housing to fit the 5.0 motor your exhisting transmission should still work. If you plan on using the 5.0, look for one from a 5 speed mustang. Alot of them came with a T5 world class. a stronger version of the T5 than what came in the jeeps. If you cant find that tranny, Ive got one. Brand new professionally rebuilt! Look around in the forsale section

On a side note... if your going to do a 5.0, then why not just go with the 351 windsor? Same physical size I think, and more power.
      Last edited by UPJ Wheeler; 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM.

Comment

i'm actually considering putting a ford 460 in my CJ. i have an F250 truck that i don't drive anymore and would be able to use the motor, drive shafts, radiator, motor mounts and rear axle out of it (plus what ever else i need). the motor was rebuilt recently. if i do the swap i'm using a t18a. you can find one from a 2wd truck that will probably not be abused like the 4wd ones usually are.

but chevy parts are everywhere. that's why they're such a popular swap cause every parts store has aftermarket stuff for SBC.

Comment

If you plan on using a motor of that magnitude, it's almost madatory to reinforce / rebox the frame so it can handle the big HP and torque without twisting the whole jeep to shreds. (over a period of time. long or short, idk). If you got the time and the means, go for it! It would be sweet, although I personally think its way overkill.

The only problen with 2wd T18's is that they require adapters to make them 4wd, and you probably need to swap the input shaft. If you're gona go that far, you might as well just rebuild the transmission. And if your gona rebuild it anyhow, you might as well just rebuild a 4wd version and avoid trying to hunt down all of the parts to convert to 4wd.

T18s are bullet proof though. When I put mine in, I just replaced the bearing retainer seal (so I knew it wouldnt leak) and threw it in! Over a year of abuse later its still running like a champ. my $0.02

Comment

The bucket is a low budget build for sure. The motor is from a mustang, and/but it already has a C4 stuck to it. The adapter for that is hugo bucks, so I'm trying to decide if the 176 will handle it.
            Dude, a 460 would be hilarious.

Comment

Well, it's time to get moving on this project. Going with the 5.0, sounds like the C4 would be too much hassle, so we'll try to go "straight" to the T176. Anticipating few problems getting it in, but numerous little ones with things like the starter and headers. And this motor currently has no power steering pump, so there's another expected snag.

Comment

If youre really worried about the T176, find yourself a T150 its actually a Ford transmission. They were put behind 304's in the CJ's and ford pickups. It will definatly handle the power, the downside is that you only have 3 forward gears.

Comment

I'm not terribly worried about the 176. Rock crawling is not one of the things that I do, usually play around in mud and snow. Not sure if the slippery stuff will help the drive train survive or not, but that's how I'm gonna go for now.

Comment

Slippery stuff will definatly help keep the breakage possibilities down. Good luck with the rest of the swap!

Comment

Got any suggestions for fuel pumps? Gotta have 40 PSI. Time to search for a while, then I'll check back for advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X