X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving

akay just bought a real nice '78 jeep cj5 with a 350 chevy and a 2 inch body lift. i guess everything else is pretty much stock i assume. Now the question is how the heck do i get this thing to drive smoother, less wandering, and whatever else to make this thing more driveable on PAVEMENT and still have a nice weekend offroader too?

A steering stabilizer might help out with the walking but don't expect miracles. A four wheel alignment might help also. 5's are just squirrelly and rough.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and the world of squirrelly hiway driving.

KEEPS YA ON YOUR TOES!!!

Comment

My 77 had stock springs with no steering stablizer or antisway bar. My new 4" 4wd lift cured most of it, and the antisway fixed the rest. You may also check the amount of "slack" in the rag joint at the end of the steering column before it hits the steering box. A half inch of slack makes for a large amount of wheel turn before you get action and contribute's the "will this thing stay on the road" feeling. The rebuilt kit(4wd has em and Blackwater has the PN) is cheap and helps alot.

Comment

Have a 4 wheel alignment done and check the Caster angle, anything less than about 5 degrees will make the thing dart about (check with the shop in case I am thnking the wrong year). This is usually not a problem unless a shackle lift has been added, not outside the realm of posibility on an older jeep, but I have seen the caster be way out of wack from the factory. (Monday morning spring perch welding after a hard weekend at the bar?).

Comment

jeepguy

First find a good front end alignment guy,, let him evaluate your rig then go from there. I fear you will find more than one culpret causing the poor handling. I know you'll recieve many well meaning responses from your post, however the handling issue ,,I think isn't a quick fix.

Kelse

Comment

when i put a 4 inch lift on my cj-7 it cured all of the jumping around and sometimes i woud be in someone elses lane before i even could react and that was due to the extra worn out rag joint,now it is alitle rough but drives straight..look mom no hands........i cant belive it,that. new suspention is the ticket

Comment

Originally posted by gnarly
              \You may also check the amount of "slack" in the rag joint at the end of the steering column before it hits the steering box. A half inch of slack makes for a large amount of wheel turn before you get action and contribute's the "will this thing stay on the road" feeling. The rebuilt kit(4wd has em and Blackwater has the PN) is cheap and helps alot.
              Ok, what part number is this?? :-D

Comment

dang...

Originally posted by jeff82cj
                Ok, what part number is this?? :-D
                I was afraid this was going to happen. Jeff, try the link and see if it's what you're looking for. I can't remember the part number, but I do remember giving it to Gnarly sometime back. Drag out the catalog and look at the pictures to be sure. Also, this kit is for power steering but they have the kits for manuals as well. Just take a look and verify before you order. The section of the catalog with these parts is pretty self-explanatory.

http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...atid=394&mid=n

Comment

It is true, the front end allignment is first, then the castor angle, then ALL bushings and ball joints, then the steering box, then the stabe, then spring bushings.....
                  then once you have replaced all the bushings ball joints etc, take it back for another front end alignment!
                  Oh ya, and welcome the the forum!!

Comment

are there any upgrades like shackles or revers shackles stuff like that, i am no "mechanic" so bear with me.

so things i should get checked are:
                    get my steering stabilizer checked PO put one in
                    four wheel alignment
                    "slack" in the rag joint at the end of the steering column before it hits the steering
                    antisway bar
                    caster/toe in toe out
                    suspension
                    ALL bushings and ball joints

i believe this is everything that you guys and or gals have listed.

Comment

Welcome to the board.

As you search previous posts, you will see that most every problem has been hit at least once before by someone. I've really see the most incredible pictures and documentation on this forum that I've seen. I've used so many suggestions here, that I think that without the forum, my jeep would not have been finished.

Now that it has, I still come back here to share my experiences, and try to help others as you can.

We are all at different levels of experiences, and you usually end up taking a few of them, and then you have to make up your own mind.

Go for it. and have fun.

Comment

Replace the bushings in the leaf springs. That should help out with your problem.

Comment

thanks,

question is how do you know if your suspension needs to be replaced?

what are shackles/ revers shackles

Comment

The shackle is the point where the leaf attaches to in the front/rear of the jeep. The shackle is actually the H shapped piece. The shackle then attaches to the frame by a mount/bracket. Reverse shackle kits move the shackle to behind the axle, and the leaf then attaches to the frame. Take a look for shackle reversal kits and you can see what it looks like. There are a ton of posts on this subject commenting on handling and driveability once the kit is installed. I have standard springs with a lift. I did find that new springs, and a new steering stab made a huge difference in driving down the road. As everyone pointed out already, its a combo of things most likely..not just 1(darn the luck). My jeep was all over the road when I first got it and I changed things out slowly and it got "better". Though, it still sucks when I have the hard top on it...200 pounds and it really screws with the center of gravity...not fun to drive.

Comment

Make sure your tire pressure is good all the way around. That simple thing made a world of difference for my CJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X