X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter bypass

EDIT: I was mistaken about which bypass it is. I'm looking at the oil pressure bypass, not the filter bypass.

I've got a 304 out of a 78 or 79 CJ. Long story short I'm replacing the oil pump gears. The Melling kit comes with a steel nipple/plunger and spring that i assume to be the bypass. When I took the filter adaptor off there was/is no bypass in it. I've tried the nipple/plunger in the only holes of the cover and adaptor that it could fit in but it won't fit. Very close, but the holes are too small.

SO...can anyone tell me:
    1. Do I even need the bypass?
    2. If I do need it, where the heck does it go?

Background: My oil pressure was running 50-60 on the way to the store. I started it up to go home and it was about 0-3. I tried a mechanical gauge with the same readings in my garage. I took off the cover and the gears felt "loose" in it so I bought a new one. I've also been going through cam gears like there's no end in sight, which I'm wondering if the oil pump wasn't bouncing my dist around.
    Last edited by FUBAR; 05-31-2006, 10:52 PM.

Did you decide to say "screw it" and replace the engine? I have seen your other posts about selling it. Did you ever figure out your oil pressure problem? I have run into the exact same issue...go to store, oil good; drive home from store, oil bad-lifters screaming!

How did you fix it? I've replaced the impellers in the pump, new pressure springs, cleaned out the oil pick up tube, cleaned the channel from the p/u tube to pump, tried different oils, swore at it, kicked it, gave it the finger, but the oild pressure is still laughing at me. Tell me you found the secret "widget" that no-one has ever heard of. I'm about to cry, because I just spent $1300 building this motor back up with great results...for two weeks.

Comment

I'm not up on the AMC V8's but most engines I've worked opn have had a "Bypass" that controlled the pressure. Once the oil reached the proper pressure the "bypass" would open up and keep the pressure steady. I've even been known to ad a couple of washers behind the spring for a little more pressure.

Are you saying the original never had a bypass or maybe it did and it's missing. if that's the case then your lucky to get 3# pressure if all the oil is going thru the bypass. The ball can get stuck or a spring fail. I hope it didn't dissappear. That would keep you up at night.

Comment

i'm now happily running an SBC 350. i'm willing to bet i'm missing a galley plug, but i haven't torn it down yet to see. i replaced everything you have and more. i only have the galley plug and main bearings to look into. if i spun mains, which i doubt anyways, the crank would be screaming from the noise.

Comment

head over to bulltear.com and their forums. Its a great place for amc tech. thats where im getting alot of information for my 360 build

Comment

that plunger and spring goes in the side of the oil filter adapter - the new oil filter adapter do not have the buypass it was located next to the oil filter threaded stud

Comment

I just got a new heads up that I'm going to look into tomorrow. An old Jeeper told me about a hydraulic lifter jumping out of it's "socket" and the all the oil just bubbled out of it and into the case. The oil just followed the path of least resistance. So I am going to pull the valve covers tomorrow and look down into the block to see if that may be it.

Comment

Dumb question

Ok I'll ask a dumb question, being new to Jeeps and not much of a mechanic. I have heard a lot of talk about AMC V8's having poor oiling problems...could this be solved with a high volume oil pump? Or are the problems due to poorly designed oil passages?

Comment

AMC Oiling

May want to look at your crank timing sprocket. There is a groove for the oil to pass thru and often it has casting flash in it. Rattail file. Learned the hard way.
                  Ditto on bulltear.com site. Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmurry
                    Ok I'll ask a dumb question, being new to Jeeps and not much of a mechanic. I have heard a lot of talk about AMC V8's having poor oiling problems...could this be solved with a high volume oil pump? Or are the problems due to poorly designed oil passages?

there's no such thing as a high volume pump with AMC. you can only get a stronger bypass spring which makes the pressure build up by not letting it past.

Comment

I know it is apples and oranges, but the Buick 231s and V8s have a similar oil pump design (oil pump is cast int other block and not a bolt on item). Anyway, I have seen a high volume kit for those, it comes with longer gears and a spacer to install between the block housing and the end plate. Could a similar system be used on an AMC engine, and has anyone seen one?

Comment

After 3 days of searching...no such thing.

Comment

May want to look at your crank timing sprocket. There is a groove for the oil to pass thru and often it has casting flash in it. Rattail file. Learned the hard way.
                          not crank but cam gear to oil the dizzy gear

if the oil pump is with in spec. I would look at the front cam bearing if is open to much you will lose oil pressur there 1st then look at the clearence in the main and rod bearings

Comment

I figured I might as well pull both valve covers to look down the heads to see wheat was up. I pull the odd bank (drivers side) and I find a rocker arm sitting in the galley and the bridge broke. Funny, I don't remember it running funny. I guess I was to keyed up on the oil pressure. One of my push rods is missing, and another is all bent to hell. This would explain the mysterious oil pressure problem. I'm pulling the heads now and have new push rods and rockers on order. I guess pre-ignition and back fireing can cause a whole heck of a lot of damage. Well, add another 400 bucks to how much this engine has already sucked out of me.

Comment

thats better then having a rod come loose and cracking a block

Comment

Working...
                              X