X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifter removemal question?

I have 1984 cj-7 almost totally restored with a fiber body,due to the fact I live on a small island in the caribbean.
    I have one of a few problem's, i cant seem to figure out how to remove the main gear shiffter to replace the boot, it's a T-4 tranny can't seem to find a book,magazine or catalog that shows you how. The jeep was built in the u.s and ascembled on the east-coast. If anybody can give me any help or solutions it would help alot.
    The connection point is square on the bottom of the connection point to the tranny.
    Thank's in advance caribbean cj-j

I may be totally off base here, but do you really need to remove the shifter?
    I would think that you'd remove the shifter knob instead, then pull the old boot straight up and off the shifter, and pull the new one down over the shifter, fasten it down and put the knob back on. I have seen it done like that on some old cars, but then, I could be wrong about Jeeps.

Comment

Yeah, just pull the shifter knob off and the new boot will slide right on.

Or are you talking about the inner boot thats on top of the tranny?

All you need to do for that is remove all the mounting bolts on the square bottom as you say and it will lift right off. Then from there, I am not too sure what to after that,but as soon as you have it out you should be able to see what needs pulled out such as snap rings maybe.

Comment

I've been exactly in the same place. I was replacing the shifter boot (upper one above tub) when I noticed that the lower boot (on top of transmission and below tub) was torn. I figured it was as simple as removing the bolts holding the square part of the shift lever to the transmission, then sliding the boot on. I removed the bolts and worked almost 2 hours trying to get the shifter off the transmission. I had ever tool in the garage out trying to break it lose. I finally sprayed the boot and shift lever with silicon and just slide it down over the whole thing. Obviously you and I are the only ones that have had the problem....boy can I relate.

Comment

It helps to clean it well. Spray some WD-40 on it fo a few days before to get all the crap out.
          Sometimes they are really stuck in there. Best way is to bust out the old one and just get a new one from 4WD.

Comment

Shifter

If you need to get the stick off of the T4, just pull striaght up on it. However like the earlier replies said, you don't need the stick off for replacing the boots. It helps if your pulling the tub or dropping the tranny and t-case. Just don't use the shifter to "hold up" or lift the tranny, it might pop off on ya.

Comment

Working...
            X