X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much HP/TQ T176 Take

Great forum! I am planning a engine swap on my 85 CJ7 and wanted to know how much HP/TQ a T176 trany can take (under normal use). I am running a 258 , T176, Dana 300 and a Dana 60 rear with 456 gears. I know when I put the 350 in the trany is going to be the week link but really dont want to swap it out (added cost to engine swap). The crate engine I'm looking at has 330 HP/380 TQ is this overkill? Can it take more? Thanks in advance!

weak links...

Welcome to the board, Chief. You said 'normal use'. A Jeeper I know dropped a 304 in the place of his 258 and he's quite heavy on the pedal at times. He shares your tranny. Just remember what you have to work with during moments of 'should I try that'.

Comment

I don't think you'll have any problems the 176 is a decent tranny, I know a T-18 can handle it. But I wouldn't be affraid of it in front of the 176 either. Of course if you frag it I'd got with a NV 4500 next lol...

Comment

I've had a 350 in front of a 176 for years....spun axles, broke a locker, couple u-joints and a driveshaft and never had a problem with the tranny. Its no T-18 or SM 465 but they are pretty strong IMO.

Comment

Got a buddy of mine that has a hopped up 351w in front of a T176...Never had any trouble with it. Busted some axles and ujoints tho....when the motor was fresh he could pull both front tires off the ground for a good distance...tranny is still orig.

Comment

Originally posted by hntndawg
            Got a buddy of mine that has a hopped up 351w in front of a T176...Never had any trouble with it. Busted some axles and ujoints tho....when the motor was fresh he could pull both front tires off the ground for a good distance...tranny is still orig.
            Translation; it had no suspension travel...

Comment

Originally posted by highlandercj-7
              Translation; it had no suspension travel...
              You are right about that....Round here there are not that many jeeps built for rock crawling. His has factory springs with shocks off his 1 ton pickup. I was just talking about the stength of the t176...if it can hold up to that kinda torque it aught to take a heck of a beating on the trails.

Comment

Working...
              X