X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Power Brake Booster

I have to rave about the Master Power Brake Booster I just installed on my CJ-7. Ever since I did the bone yard conversion from drum to disc brakes it took both feet on the pedal to stop the rig. I ran with these weak brakes for a couple of years while I researched all the booster upgrades YJ, Firebird ect. I finally broke down and spent the 4 large on the Master Power Brake Booster. Oh My God! What a difference. Very little pedal effort to lock up the front brakes and fly forward in the seat. It's amazing, I should have done this long time ago. Anybody with braking issues should strongly consider. Install time was about 25 minutes. Just my 2 cents.

any links to the product you are talking about? I have a similar problem, and it may be the time to replace mine as well.

thanks for the info, and good 2 c you can stop.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy
      any links to the product you are talking about? I have a similar problem, and it may be the time to replace mine as well.

thanks for the info, and good 2 c you can stop.
      http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/pro...product_id=144

I bought a Pirate Jack unit and got the same results, at half the price. The PJ unit is also 9" dual-diaphragm, the difference is I think the PJ has a 1" bore and the MP has a 1 1/8" bore, but the PJ doesn't seem to suffer for the lack of that extra 1/8". Stopping like that takes a little getting used to. And It's a BIG unit. Seems to take over the engine compartment. Makes it a squeeze to check the oil. They're both great units.

Comment

[

i got pj booster set up too, and it is a big unit. after the booster i put a 4 inch sua lift and the transfer case drop kit, that realy messed me up on my cj-7 with 258 moter,my carb linkage was now hitting the power booster and had to pull the booster over. i plan on making a shim or something for it.. anyone else have this problem with these boosters? any better ideas?

Comment

That PJ unit looks exactly like my Master Power Brake unit execpt the brake lines exit the right side of the master cylinder as oppose to the left drivers side.

Comment

Originally posted by dvoss
            That PJ unit looks exactly like my Master Power Brake unit execpt the brake lines exit the right side of the master cylinder as oppose to the left drivers side.
            When you order from PJ (and maybe from the others, too) you can tell them which side you need the connections on and they will set it up. When I ordered mine I talked to a very nice and knowledgeable woman named Ashley.

Birkabee, the problem you're having is probably why on the MP site they say the unit is for V8's. But I think it's definitely worth figuring out a work-around. If clearance becomes a big problem, there's always hydroboost! Those boosters are very small, and very expensive ($600+)!

Comment

Here is an off the wall question:

I have a 75-5, 4 wheel drum. No booster. how hard is it to inttall a booster, or can it be done? I have a problem stopping, I have to do the annoying "PUMP" three or four times to get good pedal. Would a boosterfix it, or what could fix it?

Thanks for your support!
              Last edited by AMMOJEEP; 06-19-2006, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepstir
                http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/pro...product_id=144

I bought a Pirate Jack unit and got the same results, at half the price. The PJ unit is also 9" dual-diaphragm, the difference is I think the PJ has a 1" bore and the MP has a 1 1/8" bore, but the PJ doesn't seem to suffer for the lack of that extra 1/8". Stopping like that takes a little getting used to. And It's a BIG unit. Seems to take over the engine compartment. Makes it a squeeze to check the oil. They're both great units.
                Hello
                Did you still know the reference # you ordered from PJ ?
                Thank you

Comment

It's part #PBUJ7486 for a CJ. $199 +12.50 shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by dvoss
                    I have to rave about the Master Power Brake Booster I just installed on my CJ-7. Ever since I did the bone yard conversion from drum to disc brakes it took both feet on the pedal to stop the rig. I ran with these weak brakes for a couple of years while I researched all the booster upgrades YJ, Firebird ect. I finally broke down and spent the 4 large on the Master Power Brake Booster. Oh My God! What a difference. Very little pedal effort to lock up the front brakes and fly forward in the seat. It's amazing, I should have done this long time ago. Anybody with braking issues should strongly consider. Install time was about 25 minutes. Just my 2 cents.

The Master Power Brake setup is really cool. I was blown away that the increased performance without changing anything at the wheels. I have been hearing some not so good things about the Pirate Jack. I don't have any experience with them myself, but the stuff that I was hearing is pretty rough. Tech support suggesting home mods for faulty parts instead of replacement and things of that nature. Has everyone else's experience been good with them?

Comment

I tried to go with ebay/fatrodders, but the bracket they supplied with me didnt fit the input shaft of the booster they supplied. The MC outlets were were not teh correct size and I would have had to get some kind of brake unions to adapt them to my stock brake lines. They dont accept returns.

I simply went to Advance and got a 'dual diaphram' brake boost assembly from a Scrambler. Its a huge unit, but I can lock up my tires whenever I want to. Before I could barely stop!

Comment

I had the Pirate Jack unit in my 86 for about 10 months and 4,000 miles before I took it off the road. Never had a problem with it. It's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to have enough time to put it in my 79. It was a simple bolt-in and bleed install. But I never used their tech support so I can't attest to the quality of that. The girl at PJ that I ordered it from seemed very well informed, and ran over the steps to do the install, including bench-bleeding the master cyl.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepstir
                          It's part #PBUJ7486 for a CJ. $199 +12.50 shipping.
                          Thank you jeepstir, but two last questions :
                          _On the V8 cj7 the brake line are the same size like the 258 ci ? 1/4 & 3/16
                          _ And the ports are 9/16 & 1/2 ?
                          Thank you
                          Steff

Comment

jeepstir ? Where are you !?

Comment

I was looking at my stock booster and

I was looking at my stock booster and realized that with the EFI manifold bolted to the 4.0l head I don't have a lot of extra room. (This is all mounted on a 258 block.) However, I do have at least one inch of clearance between the booster and the manifold. The manifold is closest to the booster in the seven oclock area. I am wondering if I was to buy the scrambler set up from Advance Auto would it fit. Can you buy it and try. If not will they accept a return.
                              Thanks
                              Fran

Comment

Working...
                              X