X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-150 to 258 problems, help!

I bought a 86 CJ7 with the 4-150 in it mostly because the price was right and the body was cherry. We're talking original paint still in the wheel wells!! Besides what's life without a CJ? The 150 was a problem, and eventually it became more trouble than it was worth, so I thought, "repalce it with the straight six, should be simple right?" HA. On previous CJ's I have replaced /repaired most parts but this is my first engine swap, and I have reached my frustration maximum. {more back ground: t-5 tranny, dana 300, basically stock vehicle with 2" lift} Got a 258 long block rebuilt, rebuilt the card, had to change the input shaft on the tranny {wrong spline count} Now I am slidding the whole engine tranny into the CJ and I cant get the engine mounts to line up with the brackets `cause I've reached the minimum length of the rear drive shaft. So here's my questions: Are my engine brackets wrong {I replaced the 150 brackets with what I think are the right ones} or do I need to put new holes in the frame to make them line up? OR do I need a shorter drive shaft? OR am I totally confused?
    Any help or insights would be appreciated.

I replaced the Iron Duke 151 in my Scrambler with a 258...had to move the T_5/dana 300 back some. There are adjustment holes on your frame which makes this possible. You will need a shorter rear shaft and a longer front.

Comment

feel your pain

I too my friend have gone down the same road. My stock motor mounts with the I6 bolted right in. I didnt have too drill anything. I did have some fun as you have due to the tranny input shaft. Had to move everything back as well, shorten rear shaft and lengthen front shaft.

Looking back I should have waited and bought one with the I6 already in it!!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input. Looks like I have to track down a new set of drive shafts, but at least there is mud at the end of the trail or something like that

Comment

Working...
        X