X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravel dings on top of front fenders

I getting them from gravel sticking in the tread and then slinging against the inside top of the front fenders from centrifugal force going down the road. It's f***ing up my paint job. You guys getting ready to paint should put an extra piece under there it would be easy enough. DP

I have the same trouble (live way down a gravel road) Thought about spraying some of that thick rubbery bed liner under there (not the hard coating like rinnolinner)...wonder if that would cut down on the dings a little?

Comment

I'm thinking about glueing a piece of 1/8" rubber under there. If you get it clean enough maybe a good contact cement would hold it. if you were getting ready to paint you could tack an extra piece of sheet metal there. DP

Comment

?

Originally posted by DPete
        I'm thinking about glueing a piece of 1/8" rubber under there. If you get it clean enough maybe a good contact cement would hold it. if you were getting ready to paint you could tack an extra piece of sheet metal there. DP
        Guys, does this actually 'dimple' the fender metal? I must have been lucky so far. I run BFG A/T's and those things LOVE to throw gravel but I haven't seen any bulges in the fenders yet. (Scares the crap outa me sometimes.)

I like the contact cement and thin rubber idea. If you attach another layer of metal you might be asking for potential rust troubles unless you get it sealed off good.

Comment

prob the difference in steel between 77 and 84....my old cj had a few dimples you could feel. on the top you could see in the paint like a little spider chip. i haven't ran my 83 enought yet to see what it will do...ahhhh the joys of deep lug tires...

Comment

Yep, dings in the metal like pimples, It's not the end of the world but sure raises he!! with a clean fender. I've got Cooper Discover LT tires and the tread will hold a good size rock. DP

Comment

Get the dura liner or herculiner and do the under side of the fenders. it will cut down on the noise and keep that from happening. The other, better, fix is goto fiberglass fenders No worries.

Comment

Working...
              X