Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive line touble....need advise.

Hey all,
    First off, let me make the disclaimer now. I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing when I notice my problem. I'm not 16 anymore, you are smarter than I am, much more attractive. I am dirt, you are sunshine. If I spin the tires on my 77, I HEAR FEEL the worst, "somethings going to brake"..... CLUNK RACKET JOLT SNATCH I've ever felt in my life. It SOUNDS like the transfer case is loose from its mounts and hiting the body or the skid plate. This is a new trouble as far I know since my 4inch lift and CV driveshaft install, but I am doubting that it is related.

What I know:

The tranny has less than 10000 from rebuild, its a t-150

The clutch was replaced at the same time as the tranny, throwout bearing...clutch plate....etc.

I do have a rear main leak that is not enough to notice on the dipstick at oil changes.

The motor amounts appear to be working as they should, tested with a jack on a lift.

The tranny transfer case mountings are intact and firm.

I have installed the tranny lowering kit.

My yolks, cv joint, and the drive shaft are in good order with NO slack or wear.

I have about a half inch of backlash in my rear AMC 20.

It drive and shifts smoothly if I DON'T brake the tires loose from the road.

I have no drive line vibration at all at hiway speeds.

I have a Dana 20 transfer case.

What I don't know:

What the HELL is wrong?

Any idea's are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by gnarly
    Hey all,
    First off, let me make the disclaimer now. I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing when I notice my problem. I'm not 16 anymore, you are smarter than I am, much more attractive. I am dirt, you are sunshine.
    I dont know for sure what you trouble is, I just wanted to say I thought that was funny

the only thing i wonder about is if your transfer case lowering kit is like mine, it left alot of wiggle room when installed (have since removed it). you could tighten up the bolts, but when you got on it hard it would shift the skid plate and pop.

Comment

Can you tell what area its coming from for sure? Trans/t-case definitely? After hearing recent lift install I was going to suggest checking for loose u-bolts, could be allowing the rear end to shift around every time you get on it. Just a thought, other than that I have no frickin clue !

Comment

How long does it last? Does it just make the noise and then stop???

Comment

It makes the noise until I have traction, then stops. Ubolts are good and tight....and new. A "noise" is an understatement. This is like.....rapid canon fire. Vibration, jarring....noise. Loud. You can hear it from across a parking lot. I can duplicate it restarting the engine by poping the clutch in motion.

Comment

I dont know what the deal is with my mounts....i replaced motor and t case mounts and now i get all kinds of movement sometimes to the point where if the suspension is tweaked i cant get into reverse.....and when i take off if i give her the wood she flops all over the place.....

Why are these new mounts so rubbery or why do they give so much???

Comment

You know how the shifter shifts in the direction of the torque in the cab under load?...if I have my hand off it, the transfer case shifter and tranny shifter will move from one side of the boot to the other....rather violently. The mounts are good though, I pushed pulled and twisted every way I could think under there. No paint knocked off the body, or paint removed from the new CV.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean
                I dont know what the deal is with my mounts....i replaced motor and t case mounts and now i get all kinds of movement sometimes to the point where if the suspension is tweaked i cant get into reverse.....and when i take off if i give her the wood she flops all over the place.....

Why are these new mounts so rubbery or why do they give so much???
                Yours does it too?

Comment

Gnarly - Do you have a rear locker in the 20? I am going to assume not and suspect some broken teeth on the spider gears.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, but if the spiders were busted it would make the noises every time the spiders made a full rotation...not just when he gets on the happy pedal.

My poor little 4 banger does the side-to-side shifter thing, too. My mounts are good and nothing is obviously or visibly out out whack. However, mine doesn't sound like it's nearly as bad as y'all descibed. So I'll live with mine and wish you guys luck with yours.

Only other thing I can think of is wheel-hop and axle-wrap, but the tire chirping should come right along with the clunking and popping.

Comment

Do you have that little stabilizer stud on the drivers side of the trany mount? Mine came loose and I didn't notice 'till the shifter slapped me in the knee. Yeah, that hurt.

1/2 inch of backlash seems like an aufull lot. You don't suppose that you are jumping teeth on the ring gear? that would make a hullava noise and most likely cause the trany to jump around a bit. May be worth the peace of mind to pull the cover and have a look-see.

Do you run 2 piece shafts in the 20? I spun a shaft once and though I had a ratchet stuck in the brake drum, it was a nasty noise.

Comment

ain't got two...

...Gnarly, but these guys have covered the stuff. My first 'suspicion' falls with Tracaym's diagnosis. Check the two piece axles. You ain't supposed to spin rubber with two piece axles. I guess my input is more like a penny at most. If it IS axle 'failing' you're going to be walking soon. Hell, you're going to be walking soon no matter where this one is... Jack it up and get to work.

Comment

If I spun a two piece, wouldn't that be a one time deal? It's the outer that fails right? I usually don't go round spinning tires so I never really noticed it if it was happening before. I took it to the my buddies tranny shop and duplicated it like 10 times for him, and drove home. I can see if the two piece is failing by removing the drum and taking a looksee right? I can pull the cover and check the ring and spiders too.

Comment

hoping...

Originally posted by gnarly
                            If I spun a two piece, wouldn't that be a one time deal? It's the outer that fails right?...
                            I'm afraid so. It's just that the axles would probably be the 'easiest' thing to repair. Turn on your IM.

Comment

See if the driveshaft slide has any side to side slack in it. I saw one that was slipping on the internal splines, it would slip in four low. Sounded and felt like the Jeep was going to come apart. Worse sound I have ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X