X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teach me

i was thinking sence i have the t-case out, and i'm doing a ground up build. and i'm getting a new tranny new fiberglass tub new seats new tires and rims you get the point. maybe i should do some work to the t-case (dana20) how hard is it to go threw it( rebuild kit) never done this type of thing, thats why i baught a new tranny. thank you for your help

not hard at all to do

Comment

make time

The transfer case is easier than the tranny. It is best to make sure you have enough time to get it done in one session, `cause its amazing how easy it is to lose a part or forget just how things go back together if you wait a week in between working on it. Also take lots of digital pictures if you can. That has saved my but on several occasions. Enjoy

Comment

Novak Adapters carries good rebuilt kits for reasonable prices.

Here's their Guide

... and here's the kit (scroll down to find the 20MR for $182).

Comment

uh...doesnt he want to find a dana 300???

What are you going to do with it and how much tires and power??

Comment

good morning gang (hawaii time) is there anything that i should watch for. you know the things you know now. how about special tools i mite need be for i start this. also should i upgrade the gears at this time, or is stock good enough for deep sand/muddy hill climbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean

read my 401 to 727 t/f post yesterday. 456 gears 35" crawlers 401 with mods will produce 300 + h/p

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean

He asked about rebuilding a Dana 20, not what TC he should get.

1tuff, if you have 300+ HP, neither the Dana 20 nor the 300 will hold up to continuous full-throttle assualts.

I'm putting a TBI 350 in my CJ. Stock they produce about 275 HP. I'm pretty conservative with the skinny pedal so I'm going to give the stock D300 TC a try behind my SM465 transmission and NP203 doubler. I'll be turning 39.5" IROKs on Detroit locked Dana 60 front and spooled 14b rear with 4.10 gears.

If I blow up the D300, they're pretty cheap. I may build up a second one. (Not so cheap)
                Last edited by Mudinyeri; 06-19-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudinyeri
                  He asked about rebuilding a Dana 20, not what TC he should get.

1tuff, if you have 300+ HP, neither the Dana 20 nor the 300 will hold up to continuous full-throttle assualts.

I'm putting a TBI 350 in my CJ. Stock they produce about 275 HP. I'm pretty conservative with the skinny pedal so I'm going to give the stock D300 TC a try behind my SM465 transmission and NP203 doubler. I'll be turning 39.5" IROKs on Detroit locked Dana 60 front and spooled 14b rear with 4.10 gears.

If I blow up the D300, they're pretty cheap. I may build up a second one. (Not so cheap)
                  souds nice mudin, thats what i was thinking i work way to hard to just beat the crap out of my stuff . but if it duz break i'll get a bigger stronger case. + i live in hawaii shipping is insane. fyi my body from 4wd cost 1700.00$ just for shipping.price of paradise

Comment

the 20 holds up good when I had my 360 in with a t-150 the only time I broke the md 20 was when I did a neutral drop just mash it to the floor and lit the clutch fly it twisted my back drive shaft 2-1/2 time and snaped the shaft at the yoke with 36" swampers and 4:45 gears

I have the same md 20 case in with a th-400 and flashing the converter in to 4000 rpm on launch with 37 swampers and getting a 1.8 to 1.7 60' times and having no problems and doing 12.80 in the 1/4 mile with 5:13 gears in the back rear

the thing to rember is if it starts to hop or jump get out of the gas or things will break
                    Last edited by fuzz401; 06-19-2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I'll be turning 39.5" IROKs on Detroit locked Dana 60 front and spooled 14b rear with 4.10 gears.
                      39.5" and 4:10 gears = 3.30 gear or some were around there

4:56 gears 35" = 3:73 or some were around there

5:13 gears 37" = 4;00 or some were around there

Comment

insane

Originally posted by fuzz401
                        the 20 holds up good when I had my 360 in with a t-150 the only time I broke the md 20 was when I did a neutral drop just mash it to the floor and lit the clutch fly it twisted my back drive shaft 2-1/2 time and snaped the shaft at the yoke with 36" swampers and 4:45 gears

I have the same md 20 case in with a th-400 and flashing the converter in to 4000 rpm on launch with 37 swampers and getting a 1.8 to 1.7 60' times and having no problems and doing 12.80 in the 1/4 mile with 5:13 gears in the back rear
                        NOW THATS INSANE 1.8 1.7 60'. ? what should i do with my t-150 is it worth saving. pop's out of 2 nd gear. i think sincroze. see that i sounded smart right there.i have a new tranny already 727 t/f, t-150 would be a sprare if anything.

the thing to rember is if it starts to hop or jump get out of the gas or things will break

Comment

re: insane

i lost all what i had typed. i ment 1.8 1.7 60' thats insane.? what should i do with my old t-150 it needs a rebuild pop's out of 2nd. is it worth saving

Comment

that is very common with that tranny 2nd gear and the sycros and the blocking ring are shot

Comment

t-150

how much to rebuild it and is it worth it.thanks mikey

Comment

Working...
                              X