X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Conversion Fire Wall Mod.

I did a search and couldn't find much on this. I wanted to know if dist. hitting the fire wall is a issue when I go to install a SBC in my CJ-7. I put a fiberglass body on my Jeep in 93 and with the 6 cyl the valve cover has about 1/2 in. clearance. I plan on using 4WH bolt on engine mounts, A/A bell housing adapter to T176 trany. Thanks for the help.

You should have about 1 1/2" clearance between the distributor and the firewall. It's tight, but it fits. Double check your motor mount holes in the frame. I can't remember, but I think I had to drill new holes. I also ended up bolting and welding mine. Overkill, probably.
    I can run out in the garage and take a few measurements if you need any.

Comment

Chief, I'm running Chevy 350 in my 1983 CJ8 and this is what I've found. I'm using the GM HEI large coil/in cap distributor, and I have about 1-2" of firewall
      clearence. I have the weld-in mounts that I prefer. You can go further ahead to gain clearence at the back, but then the radiator will be tight. I personally
      test fit all parts before welding. With the combo you are assembling you should be right on the money to leave trans&transfer in stock locations. The weld in mounts will work better for you on this swap.

Comment

ALL Thanks for the help with this. I'm trying to plan all the angles prior to speending 3-5K on this mod. Woody I have a welder just don't have faith in my ability. I know that is the way to go and if I can't get the bolt in mounts to line up then I get the old welder out. From what you all are saying I should be ok.

Comment

Yes, 4wd Bolt In Mounts And A 350 With Gm Hei Dist Got 1-2" Of Clearance Can Remove Dist No Problem Mounts Bolted In At Lowest Holes

Comment

I forgot to say.....search the forum threads for the exact dimension. I think that the chevy motor will be offset to the driver's side of the jeep 1".

Comment

The "bolt in" SBC mounts will offset the engine to the driver side and will give you plenty of room for a stock HEI. You can run MSD or other small cap which will give you more also.

Comment

I just completed my conversion last week. I used the weld ins and offset 1 1/2" to 2" to driver side. 1 1/2" radiator clearence and about 1 1/2" in firewall clearence. Been driving it all week.

If you need any measurements, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X