X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watcha Call It???

Silver box, next to the alternator, on the right wheel well. Starter relay?
    Damm hard to search when you can't name it.

ignition module? Im guessing thats what your talking about.

Comment

Starter solenoid. What's going on? I just replaced one.

Comment

Both the ignition module and the starter solenoid are oozing a slime down the inside of the wheel well. I don't guess that that's a good thing. Does that mean it's time to replace? Or have I discovered the secret sauce in a BIG MAC, or what?

Comment

Texas Heat...

Dang, Chip, it HAS been hot down there, hasn't it? Sounds like your stuff is melting. (I wouldn't try it on a cheeseburger, though.)

Comment

It could be the Idle control module. Does it look like one of these?
            http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...Prestolite.jpg
            The one on the right is a Prestolight ignition module. The one on the left is an idle control module.

Comment

One says Idle Control Module, after you take the dirt off(sorry), it's on the pass, side wheel well near the alternator, the other one has AMC 3230451 and MOTORCRAFT 12a199 and is on the back side of the left wheel well under the washer fluid bottle. I saw another post about it. So, I don't guess that the OOZE is a good thing. It's not enriched Uranium is it?

Comment

my ignition module on my 81 would get hot and melt the stuff off the back. it would go out shortly after that. think it happened when i left the key on without it running.

Comment

So it's time to replace before it leaves me?

Comment

Or at least keep a spare. My 81 304 was hard on them . I prob had something wired wrong. Put 3-4 in before i got rid of it. After I had trouble with the first one, I aways kept a spare in the glove box. Made me feel good to have it I guess.

Comment

walkin'...

Chip, the one with the 'Motorcraft' info on it will sure put you walkin'. I'd at least get another one and stick it in the Jeep somewhere. Or, buy two, replace the melting one and have a spare. I keep a spare just like in John's pic in Myrtle. (She's a Prestocrap Girl.)

Comment

Will NAPA carry them? I'm taking the CJ to PORT A friday morning for a few days. Don't want to get stuck off on the beach.

Comment

Yep...

NAPA should have 'em. Advance or Autozone, too. Make sure you tell them Motorcraft. The Prestolite won't work.

Comment

Napa usually does...most chain auto stores do. They are very common. I was told at one time that there was only a few different models that fit in all the fords and jeeps...the difference was the color of the plastic strip where the wires go into it.

Comment

Thanks all. This could even fix the crappy idle.

Comment

Working...
                              X