X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear pinion seal

hey guys ! no matter what i do , no matter how many seals i put in my model 20 rear end , it will drip a little when i park it .it has no vibrations and spins great on the highway . the yoke "looks" great, no wear or grooves in it, but at 60 + bucks i hate to condemn it . i put it in under practically surgical conditions ( clean shaft with a bit of white lith ) but after the third shaft i'm getting a bit fustrated ... any thoughts ?

i assume you emery clothed that yoke sealing surface before you put it in, right? other than that is the sealing surface on the diff scratched of nicked? only two things i can think of right now

Comment

pinion seal

Are you running synthetic oil? I did that once and leaked all over the place, it's so thin a lot of older equipment can't contain it. If thats the case, try regular old 80w-90 or 75w-90.

Comment

thanks for the thoughts , yes emery cloth and no to synthetic, even ran an aditive that says it helps stop leaks

Comment

Long shot here, but are you sure the yoke is not out of round?
          Did you clean the yoke back far enough. See Link

Comment

thanks , but i'm sure i did , if its out of round , i guess replacement is the only option right ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackson
              thanks , but i'm sure i did , if its out of round , i guess replacement is the only option right ?
              If it is out of round. Then yes that is what you will have to do.

Comment

leaking eh

Have you checked to see if your breather on your diff is plugged? My 82 cj5 with the model 20 in it had the same problem. The da-gum breather hose was solid. Try checking that before you get too far along.

Comment

Originally posted by cj_straight_six
                  Have you checked to see if your breather on your diff is plugged? My 82 cj5 with the model 20 in it had the same problem. The da-gum breather hose was solid. Try checking that before you get too far along.

Make sure this is clear. I didn't think about that.

Comment

I have an extra yoke if you need one. Have both the Ubolt and strap type.

Comment

I have always been told that you need to coat the pinion splines with a gasket sealer or the oil will creap through the splines and leak out. I always use sealer to lube the metal part of the seal when I install one, just a little extra security.

If the pinion bearing is worn, it may allow the pinion shaft to move around and make the seal oblong, no garantee of feeling a vibration untill it gets realy bad.

Dumb question here, are you sure it is the seal leaking and not the cover gasket? Just checking.

Comment

Working...
                      X