X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering shaft u joint....

ok, just pulled apart my shaft at the lower part near the box on my cj7....what the hell kind of joint is this??

I want to replace the f'd up joint with a normal u joint like the shaft has up top....my cj5 has a joint top and bottom and works great!!!

I was also going to cut the shaft out and do a sqaure over square to allow slip in the shaft.....

Where do i get a joint?? I havent found anything under $60... thats just rediculous....anyone have one? All the ones ive found are for race cars and either allumium or chrome finish which i dont need it to look pretty.....its just for the 7

anyone???

anyone have an extra shaft with a joint in it or old rusted one or anything?????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Comment

Lemme look. I think I have an old manual shaft around. I'll check. You got a t-150 shifter laying around with the threads still at the top?

Comment

i dont.....couldnt you just retap the threads or make them smaller and tap it??

Comment

I do have a manual steering shaft that has the ujoint still attached at the top. PM me if you still want it and we can talk price and I can probably ship it out Monday.

Comment

Get a Borgeson steering shaft...1 piece, telescoping....works great and it gets rid of the stupid U joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike
              Get a Borgeson steering shaft...1 piece, telescoping....works great and it gets rid of the stupid U joint.
              huh?? the borgeson has two u joints in it......im trying to do the same thing and eliminate the stupid joint at the gear box end.....who designed that anyway......

Also it costs some $250 which im not putting in a mud bogger.......

one piece?? it slides over itself....has to be two piece.......

Comment

1 vs 2

well its 4 pcs. really and very safe!!yes thier pricey but whats a life worth? how about your buddies? $10.00 helmet-10.00 head!

Comment

ever think about making it with some sort of rag joint. maybe out of like a semi truck mudflap material? just a thought....you prolly dont want to put a whole lot of $$$ in a bogger.

Comment

I just won a camero shaft with two joints in it....$10......now ill have an extra....

Life?? come on....what now we cant fab our own parts or put our own jeeps together? Thats going a little far.....we have all made our own parts......my setup will be 5x better than factory......

next thing is someone telling me i should use all brand new parts from ground up...

Thing is when i see something inferior...i try to improve on it....

Im not saying not to be careful....but im not bailing wiring it together or something.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jodean
                      huh?? the borgeson has two u joints in it......im trying to do the same thing and eliminate the stupid joint at the gear box end.....who designed that anyway......

Also it costs some $250 which im not putting in a mud bogger.......

one piece?? it slides over itself....has to be two piece.......
                      i think what he was trying to say is that the borgeson actually has a needle bearing u joint in it, instead of the lame, if you can call it a u joint, that comes on a stock shaft. there isnt gonna be any slop in the bogeson joint. and the lower joint is pretty shady on a stock one too.

but, if you can make your own, do that. im telling ya, i would get some square tube and get one that slides into another one so you have some slip. then rag joint the ends by welding a flange on them and putting some stiff, reinforced rubber in between them. def not something i would put in a dd, but if it just for beat runs, who cares right? but if that sucker breaks going down the road, you will be fawked.

Comment

hmm...im not really catching the rag joint part....

basically i will have the two tubes like u state, then a joint on each end, one bolted to the box, one up to the wheel...

this is the shaft i won.....it basically will look like this....only longer.....
                        http://cl1986.tripod.com/cj7/index.album?i=9

Comment

Working...
                        X