X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tfi?

Is TFI as good as HEI? Don't know much about either. I need an ignition upgrade but don't want to spend too much money. TFI seems to be considerably cheaper. Does anyone know about the brand Procomp? I guess what I really need to know is if installing a TFI kit would be a waste of time.

opinions...

Originally posted by jessetango
    Is TFI as good as HEI? Don't know much about either. I need an ignition upgrade but don't want to spend too much money. TFI seems to be considerably cheaper. Does anyone know about the brand Procomp? I guess what I really need to know is if installing a TFI kit would be a waste of time.
    Jesse, if you have a Motocraft distributor now the cheapest route is the TFI route. Many guys run it and many guys like it. Some swear it's better than HEI. Some swear not. With the HEI all you do is drop in a distributor, feed it some voltage and put the light on it. Read the link below and do some research. Also, you might consider posting your Jeep 'vitals' in your sig. Helps on questions like these sometimes.

http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/hei_upgrade.htm

Comment

Sorry. I have a 79 cj7, 258, holley 4412 carb. auto...trying to convert to manual. ..eventually.

Comment

TFI is pretty easy, basically like like doing a tune up. I can get you a parts list if you want, I bought everything from Advanced Auto Parts.

Comment

A list would be great. thanks. I came across a procomp kit that includes everything but the spark plugs for $130. Would it be cheaper to buy everything separate?.

Comment

yeah I think I spent like $80, buying it all separate.

Cap Base/ Adaptor: 1982 Ford F-150 w 300 CID I-6 #FR-109

Cap/Rotor: 1982 Ford F-150 w 300 CID I-6 (you want The Premium w/ Brass terminals) ?? KCR-202x - im not sure the # but just get the premium w/ brass terminals.

Plug Wires: 1986 F-150 300CID I-6 w/ E.E.C. - You want the Premium Store Brand, with Spiral Core.

Coil: 1986 Ford F-150 w 300 CID I-6 - E-Core TFI Coil, Premium #GC-4075

Coil Connectors: E-Core Style Coil Connectors - #S-539

Spark Plugs- Get some higher end ones that fit your year CJ engine, that can take a hotter spark. Should be good to go, gap the plugs to .045. I didnt have to fix any timing issues, and the jeep ran alot smoother.

Comment

Can I use the stock spark plugs and just do the rest of the upgrades? Just did a tune up on my 258, would like to use asmuch of the new stuff that I just installed. Wish I would have researched TFI before I bought everything

Comment

spark plugs...

...the stock plugs will work fine, Hntndawg. (regap to Busta's specs.)

Nice parts list, Busta. The man ought to be in bidness.

Comment

Originally posted by jessetango
                  Sorry. I have a 79 cj7, 258, holley 4412 carb. auto...trying to convert to manual. ..eventually.
                  Jesse, I'll trade you straight up your auto for my T176 4spd. My knees are shot and I really need a auto.

Comment

Originally posted by texascj
                    Jesse, I'll trade you straight up your auto for my T176 4spd. My knees are shot and I really need a auto.
                    If Jesse don't take you up on that, give me a shout. I am thinking I might want to swap out to a standard, been looking for a donor vehicle to do the complete changout.

Comment

Working...
                    X