X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Wheel Drive Indicator

I recently reconnected the 4 wheel drive indicator located on the transfer case (Dana 300) and everything worked great. Since then I've pressure washed the undercarriage and no problems until.... I took it out on the road and drove awhile. I noticed that the 4 wheel drive indicator started glowing faintly and then continuously (w/o it being in 4 wheel drive). It may be water around the connection on the transfer case, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the 'switch' in the transfer case can be replaced ...and how.

I have not seen a replacement switch, but I do believe it is just a single wire grounding switch (Been a while since I looked, so I could be mistaken). Check the entire length of the wire for breaks that would cause it ground out on the frame or body, then clean the connector and the head of the switch and squirt some dielectric grease into the connector before you reinstall it. If it is just a car wash related issure, a good cleaning and the grease should solve it.

P.S. I believe the switch is threadded, so it should just twist out.

Comment

Yep, I've been told by another that it's a twist off connection. The only replacement I've found so far has been from someone who says they have one out of another transfer case. Someone ought to tell the aftermarket guys to make one. One thing you have to watch about squirting dielectric grease in the connection is that you'll lose your switch connection to ground. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dunlapml
        ... One thing you have to watch about squirting dielectric grease in the connection is that you'll lose your switch connection to ground. Thanks
        THe grease won't prevent a good ground. It will work just fine and protect the contacts form corrosion.

Comment

Working...
        X