X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter's Stuck.

Ok, I've tried to remove the oil filter from my 74 CJ5 304, but it's rusted on. I soaked it good with Kroil penetrating oil about two weeks back and again today and it will not come loose. I actually removed the oil pump or cover or whatever the filter screws onto on the side of the motor so I could hopefully get better leverage. Didn't help. I don't have a vise to lock it into to hold it, but I might know where to find one to use. However, I'm afraid that the filter will just give away and tear off leaving nothing to grab onto with the filter wrench. The wrench has already damaged the filter. Should I just buy a new cover or whatever it is that the filter screws into? In case you have"nt guessed, I'm not much of a mechanic. Thanks for any suggestions.

You can try hammering a screwdriver through the oil filter and using the leverage. May not be the best way but it works.

Comment

Filter

See if a friend may have a large pair of channel locks i have used them for this or look for a filter wrench with a band that tightnes up when you try to turn it. I have seen some if these made llike a chain. Here we have parts houses like AUTOZONE that have loaner tools try a parts house.

Comment

well....if all else fails and you cant get it off, pitch it and buy a new one and while your in there get new oil pump gears. thats if you absolutely cant get it off. i bet if you get creative you will be able to get that sucker off.
        how long has the thing been sitting without being ran?

Comment

Use a piece of heavy grit sand paper as a rag....works like a charm.

Comment

yep same problem....73 cj5 with 304.... big screw driver tapped through with a hammer......got it off.......wrecked the screwdriver.....it was on there good!!!

Comment

Lisle tools makes a set of big pliers that are for oil filters, works great..

Comment

Originally posted by gnarly
                Use a piece of heavy grit sand paper as a rag....works like a charm.
                Gnarly idea, That is a good idea i have a diesel truck that you actualy tighten down (kinda) the oil filter and when i go to take it off its a bear.
                Next time ill try that.

Comment

if needed you can just buy the part the filter goes on

Comment

I have seen them so tight that the filter area can be totally destroyed by trying the ol' scew driver trick and such.

When this happens, remove all remnants of any filter so that all you have left is the base metal ring of the filter that was threaded to the filter housing on the motor. Next, take a hammer and chisel, angling the chisel so that when you hit it, it will rotate in the correct direction. The chisel will groove the metal ring as it bears into it and will begin to turn. It will come off without having to replace any parts other than the filter you orginally intended to replace.

Not sure if I described it very well so PM me if you need clarification.

When you go back with the new filter, coat the rubber ring with used motor oil and hand tighten the filter. It won't leak AND you can get it off much easier next time.
                    Last edited by xlr8n; 06-29-2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

The previous owner said that it had set up around ten years. I tried a filter wrench but it only dented the filter. I thought about the screwdriver, but was afraid that it would rip the filter in half, plus there is not a lot of room. Also I don't have a vise to put it in. There was no gasket or permatex sealer between the engine block and the pump cover or what ever it is. Should there be?
                      I'm trying to do the basic things-oil change, drain and refill the gas tank and such, so maybe I can at least get the engine to turn over.
                      Thanks again for all of your help.

Comment

Since you don't have a vise I recommend bolting the filter housing back on the motor using a thin bead of RTV. The motor will serve as your vise. Again, try removing the old filter as others have mentioned with pliers or screwdrivers, etc. Don't be afraid of ripping the filter. You are not hurting anything but the old filter which needs to come off anyway.

When you reach a point where there is virtually nothing left of the filter to grip with anything, tear off what is left of it and use the aforementioned method in my previous post. It will work.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

Get yourself one of these. It has never failed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Company
                            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

Get yourself one of these. It has never failed me.
                            Sears also sells those just in case you didnt want to order one off the internet.

Comment

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=917

Comment

Working...
                              X