X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more Carter BBD troubles

I have searched and read most of the carb post on here, but i can't seem to find my exact trouble. Carb idles ok (idle screws 5+ turns out) revs great. Trouble is if you slowly give it gas it start to stumble bad. Can't take off from a stop with out feathering the gas. Let off the gas at highway speeds and you get the "backfire" thru the muffler. Pull up to stops and it will die unless i throw it out of gear and rev it a little.(auto) What the heck do i need to look for. Seems like all the adj I make don't fix it. As said in prv post, I don't know nuthin about carbs. I don't have the $$$ to drop a new carb on it, so any help is appreciated.

Franklin Gothic Medium"]Yo Dawg.... I feel your pain. I have been going round circles with mine as well ('77 CJ7 I6). If you haven't yet, start with a rebuild kit of the carb, it's not real hard, but try and find someone who has done it before. YouÂ’ll need to know which carb you have. See numbers on side. Most likely a stock crappy Carter like mine. Rebuilt mine and adjusted the timing as best as possible and it got better. Still has a loss of power, couldn't get it over 65 on hway, and now has developed the "backfire" at high speed used to be at low speed till she warmed up. Fixed that by replacing the CTO switch that had been snapped off before I bought it. That helped too.
    I just pulled mine out of storage after 8 months (Don't ask) and had to replace the fuel pump. This had a major impact...... It still backfires and runs rich, but the power is back. My wife was driving it home from storage and I had to keep chasing her down to slow her down cause she was doing over 75 and kept forgetting to compensate for the larger tires throwing the speedo off. She still backfires, wife blow a nice big hole in the muffler 2 miles from home.
    Point is check a lot of related items, because it most likely is not one thing, but multiple contributors. Best advice is try and find a friend, relative, whomever that has some experience with carbs to help. They will save you a lot of aggravation.....
    Good Luck,
    J

Comment

Junkyard MC2100 setup will run you under a $100.......'nuff said.

Comment

Did a TFI upgrade on it this weekend...fixed most of the problems... the only one left is the stumble when the gas is barely applied. Not like a acc pump issue...I want to do the MC2100...what vehicles are best to pull from?...what else do I need?...I don't want to get a carb that has too much CFM or something else and just get into more trouble.

Comment

Ford 289 or 302, early 70's era. Has to have 1.08 venturi size (small 1.08 cast into drivers side of carb behind accelerator pump linkage). Most come from F-100 pickups or econoline vans. Google it, more links than time to read them. Pick the install article that makes the most sense to you and fly at it. If you're still having trouble finding info I'll have a look in my favorites at home tonight and post up a bunch of links on it. The CFM rating works great on the 4.2L. You'll also need an adapter plate (holley 2 bbl to rochester 2 bbl, I have the part # at home) as well as an air cleaner assembly (have the part # for that too) and a carb rebuild kit. These carbs are rediculously easy to work on and staright forward to pull apart and put together so don't feel intimidated if it sounds like a bit of work in the articles. The last thing is to modify the throttle linkage and I can get you pics of how I did mine, took me all of 5 minutes (or some people have had luck just switching to a throttle cable from a 304). At the latest I can get you pics of my setup on Friday when I go work on my Jeep. Feel free to shoot me any questions you might have.

Comment

No More Troubles!!!

Went by NAPA today to pick up some ATF and coolant. Just for the heck of it I asked them to look up my carb kit. They had it in stock (1st thing they had in stock for my Jeep so far) $14...Rebuilt it myself on my picnic table...HOLY C*%P did that make a difference. No more hesitation, idles like a new engine. Wish I would have done that before. Still want to upgrade to MC2100, but at least now I am not in a hurry. Between the carb kit and the TFI upgrade I now have the best running Jeep I have had...

Comment

did the same thing to my Carter last week. a quick rebuild and cleanup can make a huge difference. I'm planning on the MC2100 switch along with a TFI upgrade probably this fall sometime.

Comment

a little late...

Sounds like you guys have your woes cured but I found this link and thought some of you might benefit from it at a later date. Also, after much reading on this forum and others it would seem the best cure for a Carter in the long run is to put it to pasture. It seems to suffer from a variety of maladies. In the mean time:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

Comment

I had that Idle issue when I bought my Jeep last year. you could see the dripping fuel. I opted for the full rebuild then, as I did not know the condition of the rest of the carb.

Comment

Also, after much reading on this forum and others it would seem the best cure for a Carter in the long run is to put it to pasture. It seems to suffer from a variety of maladies. In the mean time:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html
                    Thanks blackwater, did this along w/a rebuild, what a difference!! I couldn't believe the Jeep even ran with the way the bowl looked. So 'till I can do the 2100 thing, I'm good, and all for 12 bucks and 1 1/2 hours!

Comment

Hey guys, another common inline six problem that can cause the same sluggish performance and backfire is a bad intake/exhaust manifold gasket. I've seen people go thru 3 carbs before this was checked and repaired. This is really a biggy if the bvehicle has headers! Have fun!

Comment

Hey Jeep HO!!
                        Could you give me the part #'s and the PIC..I am going to change out my Carter for a 2100 now I am in Florida....I need..1)adapter part #2)Air cleaner part #, and the linkage PICs..I am quite sick of the Carter...
                        A set of instructions you like would be nice too.

Comment

Working...
                        X