X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts,Bolts,etc...

I know that on the engine, transmission and such, you need automotive/grade 8 type nuts and bolts. But what about other places? When I removed my gas tank, no two bolts were the same size. Would these non-critical areas need grade 8 nuts and bolts? Can I get them at any hardware store or must I go to a specialty fastener company? Thanks.

my whole jeep is held together with whatever I could find laying around that fits!! You don't even need to use grade 8 bolts on the engine as the torque specs are what is critical .... with the exception of the flywheel ....

I would say that you would be safe using whatever the local hardware store has avaiable!

Comment

i always get my hardware from a tractor supply type of store. they sell in bulk there, and i get regular grade nuts and bolts for $1.25 a pound and grade 8 for like $3.99 per pound. waaaaayyyyyy cheaper than buying them at home depot or ace where they are one dollar for and inch long gr8 bolt.

Comment

I'd like to find a place to buy Stainless steel in bulk.

I've slowly been replacing very bolt with SS on the body.

Comment

I thought about going with stainless fasteners, but when you find out that on average stainless is only about 50% as strong as regular steel bolts, the risk of galling goes way up and the only real advantage is corosion resistance, then stainless doesn't shine so much for me.

as was mentioned earlier, grade 8 bolts are only required on the flywheel (which takes specialized bolts anyway). I like to use grade 8 on suspension components whenever they are available, but this is admitedly overkill.

Speaking form an engineering standpoint, Bret is 100% correct. As long as you can apply the correct torque to the fastener (proper preload) then whatever grade (hardness) you use is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nuttzach
            i always get my hardware from a tractor supply type of store. they sell in bulk there, and i get regular grade nuts and bolts for $1.25 a pound and grade 8 for like $3.99 per pound. waaaaayyyyyy cheaper than buying them at home depot or ace where they are one dollar for and inch long gr8 bolt.
            Woah!!! that store sucks!!!! grade 8 at campbels supply is only like $2.29.....

just make sure to get coarse thread bolts.......

Comment

I buy them in bulk at my local hardware store, self locking nuts are a pluss to, wont rattle loose. For body & dash I use regular grade for seats and roll bar grade 8. I use alot of flat washers, I'm rebuilding a 65 Willys CJ5. No plastic!

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
                I thought about going with stainless fasteners, but when you find out that on average stainless is only about 50% as strong as regular steel bolts, the risk of galling goes way up and the only real advantage is corosion resistance, then stainless doesn't shine so much for me.

I didn't do it for the shine, I plow snow all winter and the salt build up is incredable. Your typical zink plated fastener only lasts a couple of seasons before it's eaten away. I've tried grease, never-sieze paint nothing last long.

The only thing that last have been stainless and brass.

Never had a problem with galling on the SS fasteners anyplace.

Comment

On stainless...

I like stainless fasteners myself because I hate a rusted up fastener. But, like said they usually aren't as strong. Grade 8 is an incredibly strong bolt and there are few places on a Jeep that really warrant that strength. (I do appreciate the warm and fuzzy concept they give, though.)

On the stainless and galling. I had that happen on my gas tank. The hardest one to get at was the one that galled and I had a freakin' problem. Luckily, I was able to get enough torque on it to wring it off. A mechanic here at work told me to always use some sort of never-seize on stainless and I'd never have that problem again. So far he's been right.

In the power plant we have some very high temp applications with stainless involved. It doesn't like heat and will gall frequently in those apps. This is where the never-seize concept came into use. However, I noticed in the last 4WD catalog that they offer a header bolt (those locking deals) in stainless.

Comment

Hmmm... Maybe that's why I never have any galling. I never put a bolt in without never sieze or grease on the threads.

With some habits you develope, you never think about the consequences of such actions.

Comment

Originally posted by John Strenk
                      Hmmm... Maybe that's why I never have any galling.
                      hah....i dont get galling because i have to take my shiat apart so often i just replace the bolt if it looks like its getting bad!!

Comment

I use stainless for everything with exception of the places already mentioned where I use grade 8 too. I also do the never-seize/grease etc combo. Of course i also take stuff back apart and put it back together a lot too so....

I do make sure to use the same size head/nut combo on a particular application. All the bolts on the dash are the same, all four seat bolts on each seat etc...I really hate having to switch wrenches for the same application..when i first got the jeep the driver side seat had four different size heads...that fixed me.

Comment

Not to do a shameless promotion, but if your looking for stainless steel bolts, this is the place. They even have grade 8 stainless steel. They know their stuff and are very nice to deal with.

http://totallystainless.net/totally.html

Comment

cool...

Originally posted by jeepstir
                            Not to do a shameless promotion...
                            That's a neat site, Jeepstir. Thanks for being shameless. I put that one in my 'Jeep Links'.

Comment

Working...
                            X