X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj sighs?

anybody else just get sick and tired of spending so much money and time on there cj's and wish they had somthign more reliable as a rig? i go in and out of this stage but will always love my cj.

If you think that is bad just wait till you sell it and then after a bit kick yourself a few times and buy another junker to start the process all over...

Comment

Fortunately I have YET to be in the position where my CJ is broken down. I'm still in the recovery stage of how much money I spent in the past 8 months getting it back on the road after a frame off refurbish.

If my CJ breaks again it is going to sit in the garage for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepCrazy
        If you think that is bad just wait till you sell it and then after a bit kick yourself a few times and buy another junker to start the process all over...
        Done that... ....still kicking!! Don't let it get to ya. I did that, sold my '81 CJ and now I would pay double to have that one back.

Comment

My CJs have always been very reliable. Driven them for years as a DD and trail vehicle, and have never been stranded. There was times in the winter with my old canvas top CJ 5 that I wished I had something a little warmer but it is a jeep.

Comment

Heavy $ sighs, but I'm still smilin!

We all go thru this CJ delema sometime. Whether its stopping in the middle of the rebuild to regroup$$$ (Caution: Many never start again!) or making a call on good, better or best parts to buy. This older Jeep scene can wear on you.
            But I love the CJ look and always will, and 4 round lights and a 7 bar grille started it all! I'll be a CJ guy till the final dirt flies! But thats just me with a 5 min. work commute, if I had to rack up highway miles it would be a TJ for sure. But of course I'd have 2 Jeeps to pay for then!

I look at it this way: If I had a newer Jeep I'd have a car payment to cover and full coverage insurance too! Just think what $300-$400 per month would do for an old Jeep in the long run.
            P.S. even working here at 4WD my Jeep sat 6 years gathering parts and 3 years while I built it. Keep the faith you won't regrete it!

Comment

lucky

I guess I got off lucky... I already had a full size chevy truck when i got my
              cj5. For long trips, hauling fire wood, or larger Jeep parts, it fits the bill very well, and gets fair gas mileage. My Jeep for now is not running and amounts to little more than a hobby/learning experience. However as my truck is getting older and is already out of warranty and starting to have problems that I can't fix-I hate computers on cars- I look forward to my cj being very
              useful.

Comment

I hate to think about the money and time I put into my CJ-7. I love the jeep, but it's a love-hate relationship. I've put so much money into it that I could never sell it. I put her away last week after making engine noise and will once again become a project.

Comment

i never realized how much I loved mine untill I lent it too a friend about 2 weeks ago, I miss it so much.
                  it hurts to be without it. I really dont like driving my truck all the time.

yeah the cj is a pain in the butt sometimes, but i am willing to deal with it for the fun of it.

Comment

WEll, it bothers me to know that my jeep is in the garage, and i do not have the money to fix even half of what needs it. But as every little piece is fixed, it gets closer, and i get more motivation.

Even as it sits now not close to drivable, i couldn't sell it or part it out. The thought of how much time alone i have invested in it makes it an impossible thought.
                    I just don't think i could get rid of my my cj.

Comment

I'll second what woody said.

I too am lucky enough to just have a 5 minute commute. My CJ has been in the garage since the second week of june. I'm doing durabak in the interior, new stereo, new console, wiring, its totally torn apart right now.

I've debated buying something else, selling it, all kinds of things. But the days i drive it, no top, no doors, those days keep me in it.

It wont be my DD forever, maybe i'll buy an old chevelle to drive while i do the frame off for the jeep...

Comment

Originally posted by climbtothebeet
                        anybody else just get sick and tired of spending so much money and time on there cj's and wish they had somthign more reliable as a rig? i go in and out of this stage but will always love my cj.
                        While you are in this stage...let's talk price. I can come by this weekend to pick it up!

Comment

i have had 8 cj's to date, and the cj i have now will be sticking around...i may buy a few others but i will not sell this one to do so...i wish i had every single one of the others around still!!!!!! cheers to cj's...
                          clay

Comment

I'm on my 5th CJ in 28 years, and I'm changed how I look at it. I'm fortunate that it's no longer my DD, although others in the past were. Not being a daily driver, I consider it a hobby, and whether it's sitting there broke down, which fortunately doesn't happen much, or I'm driving it somewhere, I'm content, cause I have it, and not many others do. Yeah, I want to drive it as much as I can, but face it, it gets treated rough, it's bound to have problems. It's not a 69 Camaro that goes to the mall or a car show a couple time a month. But it turns heads, no matter what it looks like, and I feel proud driving an "antique" down the street. AND an antique that can do things that few vehicles can do.

I could collect coins for a hobby. Oh, wait, I do collect coins.... but I've never had one break down.

Comment

no regrets

On my second CJ, and have been putting in a new engine for over a year. Great learning experience, and it is so different from what I do for a living, that it is good therapy {and actually cheaper than a shrink} Any time I get ready to quit I see somebody driving Top&Doors off, and I can't wait to be wheeling again. Sell your CJ and you'll be sorry, keep it and you'll always be busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X