X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High steer headaches

While my jeep is out of commision (see my post about my long day for info) I am thinking that I may want to get started on my high steer setup.

Most parts and info are pretty easy to come by, but I was thinking that I may want to keep my current lockout hubs since they are quite new and very nice. Every article I have read says use the chevy spindle and find a ford f150 hub to get the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. OK fine, but then I have to use the Ford lockout or more probable buy new (again).

The question becomes:

Is there a spindle or a special bearing number that will allow the jeep hub and lockout to be reused, I know the 5 bolt hub is not as strong as some others, but untill I break it, why upgrade. If there is something out there that will let me keep what I have why not just use that?

whats that have to do with high steer??

are u talking about the spindle...or the knuckle....the knuckle is what your steering attaches to.....

just keep your 5 bolt hubs that you have and use the same spindle....i havent broke my superwinches yet and im running 38" boggers.....

Comment

Will the dana 30 spindles bolt to the Dana 44 knuckle. Every bit of info says use the Chevy spindle, so I figured that the dana 30 spindle must not fit. Anyone have any insight?

Comment

im must have missed some of your posts......why do you have a dana 44 front?? and if you do you should already know what to do......have you done a search??

many dana 30 SOA's on here......im sure dana 44 is similar......

you just move the tie rod from bottom to the top of the knuckle....no bid deal.....

Comment

I take it your going with a true hi steer with flat top knuckles and not just a tie rod flip? I've done plenty of research on this topic as well because it will be a future project for me. Everything I have says the best option due to part availability chevy or FSJ knuckles, spindles, caliper mount & outer axle. Ford hub, rotor, & bearing. Any dana 44 1/2 ton lock out. to keep 5 on 5.5 Or go all ford.

Comment

Well, that is what I was afraid of. Having to buy all the high steer compnents is no big deal, but spending another $70 on lockouts after having just spent $90 on a good pair a few years ago is not a pleasant proposition. The wife ain't gonna like it
            I currently have a 79 chevy parts truck that will get me the spindles, calipers and the driver's side knuckle, so I guess all I need now is the steering arms, hubs, rotors and a set of lockouts (parts truck has the 203 t-case, so no lockouts).

This sucks rocks, I didn't even want to mess with the drivers side on the jeep.

Comment

You've helped me out of a few binds on my 350 conversion threads, sorry.

Comment

Working...
              X