X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header help

i have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 350 chevy engine and need new headers, can any one help me?

Fenderwell Exhaust Headers

or

Hedman Hi-Tech HTC

or

In Frame Exhaust Header

or

Hedman HI-TECH HTC coated

or

Hedman ELITE Hedders®, Fenderwell header

or

Hedman ELITE Hedders®, In Frame header
    Last edited by MotorHead; 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM.

Comment

are these in pairs right?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepguy
        are these in pairs right?
        yes, headers always come in pairs for a V motors......

Comment

are you going in frame or fenderwell?

Comment

if you go under the fenderwells, remember that your nerf bars will get in the way sometimes. i had to drop my nerf bars and have to figure out something new now with mine.

I've had no problems with my hedmanns. sounds just awesome.

Good luck.
            http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...j7/0714062.jpg
            http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...j7/0714061.jpg

Comment

no nerf bars, fenderwell is how i am going. just need to decide on what hedman hedders to use

Comment

headers

heddman elite, there thermal coated and ceramic coated . i think best bang for your buck. good luck with your choice, one more thing, my last set was heddman fender well. now they looked great but at a price, the heat rises up, right next to you. also be carefull with children around your jeep,even adults can get burned on the muffler. i know first hand my son when he was 3 years old try to climb in to jeep when i was'nt looking. recieved a big burn i felt terrible, needless to say i'm going with in frame headers, part #99208.

Comment

hi again would you know if the 69518 http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...atid=253&mid=n, 69510B http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...atid=253&mid=n , or the 69516 http://www.4wd.com/newsite/shop/prod...253&mid=nwould work for my application.shortie hedders do not work for me. is the 69510B a chrome plated version or the 69510? these are my choices, my mechanic says that shorties won't work, i need the fenderwell ones
                  Last edited by jeepguy; 07-15-2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

The 69518 are made with heavier 14 guage tube, thicker 3/8" flanges and a non-polished thermal coating.

The 69510B are your typical headers that are just painted black.

The 69516 are HTC coated and a very good looking header. They are more money, but they stay looking nice for a long time.

Now if I had my choice of these three options I would pick the 69518s, Hedman ELITE Hedders. One of the problems with running headers is they leak...but with a 3/8" flange and heavier gauge tubes you shouldn't have to worry about them for a long time.

Comment

are you saying headers usuasly leak from hedmen hedders?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepguy
                        are you saying headers usuasly leak from hedmen hedders?
                        No. Just headers in general. Hedman make some really nice headers. And the best headers for Jeep/Chevy conversion.

I bought the Hedman in frame headers. I wish I paid the extra for the HTC coated ones.

Comment

Jeepguy

I just did the new header & side pipe thing,, I don't know much about the 350 but can offer some tips that might be helpful anyway

Headman makes a good product,, I went with the fenderwell & Hi Temp coating and pleased with them. They will come with header bolts and collector bolts plus the flange gaskets,, but I trashed all that,,

I went with a copper header flange gasket from Mr. Gasket and header bolts from Stage 8 as I wanted not to be bothered with leakey header flanges

Next came capping the headers or mufflers,, I found this the most challenging
                          part of the modification. Beware the header pipes 4WD offers, what you see in their advertisment is nothing like what will actually arrive.

If you have access to a good muffler shop,, they should be able to put together some pretty nice pipes,, along with the items I mentioned that comes with the headman hedders,, a set of collector flanges will also be there.,, Once assembled you'll need to paint them or coat em,, I sent mine to JetHot,, coated to match my headers,, 99 bucks plus shipping

oh yeah,, headman only offers the ball style collector now,, or so I'm told by
                          4WD,, don't let that worry you cuz there are many advatanges of ball veres flat

good luc
                          Kelse

Comment

what is ball style collector

Comment

Ive looked at steering rod location roughly without tub on w/ 350 in place and it looks like fenderwell headers would be in the way of the rod any input? that is the wat i've planed on going

Comment

Working...
                              X