X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got it

i got my 4wd fiber glass deluxe body today i looked for threads pertaining to my questions, could not take it anymore, to many threades with fiber glass in them. so here it is, the mounting point #3 on the under side is angled is this correct? does that mean the mounting rubber will have to be cut at an angle. i didn't see that in the vidieo,also the rear crossmember does'nt seem to match up with the driver side body mounts if thats what tou call them. there kinda half moonish,also they say to start out with about 2" chuncks of mounting rubber if i make it 3" would be like 1" body lift and what would that efect if anything. one more thing ,that flat piece of metal for # 2 and #3 in the vidieo they say a inch an a half to the inside on the papper it says 2". and how much space is there supposed to be between the frame and plate. thanks for all the help, more question to come and pictures

If I recall correctly, a 4WD tub already has the equivilant of a 1" lift so going to a 3" space would make it taller. The cluch rod would be to short and you might need to open the hole for the shifter on the t-case.

My 76 4WD tub didn't fit my new frame on the rear also. My new frame only had two mounting points fully round were as the tub had 4 half round mounting points.

I can take some pictures of my mounts but I didn't have any directions to follow so I might be wrong.

Comment

I would make #2 and #3 mounts 2" as well. Going 3" will mess up stuf like your clutch linkage and steering shaft.

Just weld the plate flush on mounts #2 and #3, drill new mount holes in the plate 1 1/2" to 2" behind mount #2 and in front of mount #3 the same distance from the frame as the originals. These are your new #2 and #3 mounts. Both are flat not angled.

For the rear mounts I cut some of the back off the mount off (kinda halfmoon shaped) so they fit.

If you have one a chop saw works great for cutting the mount material.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorHead
        I would make #2 and #3 mounts 2" as well. Going 3" will mess up stuf like your clutch linkage and steering shaft.

Just weld the plate flush on mounts #2 and #3, drill new mount holes in the plate 1 1/2" to 2" behind mount #2 and in front of mount #3 the same distance from the frame as the originals. These are your new #2 and #3 mounts. Both are flat not angled.

For the rear mounts I cut some of the back off the mount off (kinda halfmoon shaped) so they fit.

If you have one a chop saw works great for cutting the mount material.
        I got to thinking about the body mounts and took a looked at mine.
        --My #3 mounts are about 2 1/2"s in front of the stock mount. I don't think it needs to be exact as long as the mount is under the flat part of the tub (were the wood is molded into the glass).

--For my #2 mounts I put my seats in place and used the front outer hole for the Body mounts. I welded the square metal piece (that came with the installation kit) on the driver's seat but not the passenger's.

Not sure the why I did it this way but it works. Just make sure they are under the reinforced part of the tub.

Hope I didn't confuse you anymore than you were.

Comment

glass body

john what did you do in the end in the rear. motorhead when i say angled, the mounting point #3 under the jeep is angled not the piece of flat stock. the chop saw sounds good, but like i said the holes don't line up with the holes on the crossmember. also on the grill i saw on the vidieo somthing about a spacer block welded to the front crossmember, i ended up going with a steel replacement grill. will i still need to weld a spacer, there is a nut in side the steel grill. i don't have my old body anymore, did'nt think i'd need it. note to self don't throw away body untill done with new one. with the deluxe body it is pre templated for steering, master cylinder hpoefully that will help. pictures would be greately apriecated thanks.

Comment

I welded on some brackets on the frame to match the mounting holes in the tub.

I'll see if I can snap a few pictures tonight.

Can you show me what mounts are #1 and #2 and so on?

Comment

mounts

#1 mount is the first mount in line with the fire wall #2 is the next one back and so on. on my crossmember there is a hole that lines up with the half moon piece on the tub it's the the outer most hole about 1/2" to 9/16" is this the right hole for the rear tub mount. thanks in advance. also still need ome help with #3 tub mount it's at a slight angle like the floor inside right before it steps up to the rear deck hope this helps explain my question better. thanks again

Comment

with mine, i put the second mount from the front under the seat bracket. it can really be where ever you want it since you're drilling the hole. i also kept my stock grille (FYI, hind sight i'd have gone with glass) and i needed a spacer. I used prothane 1" body lift mounts and had to cut all but the firewall and the ones over the rear axle. i do not have any body mount material on the rear crossmember. a little extra body lift is great for working on the jeep and for keeping it cleaned. i had to lengthen my clutch rod and steering shaft because of it though. not really a problem since i can weld. the hole in the floor isn't a problem either. since you're cutting the hole you can make it where ever you want. i did get some diamond plate alum and cut it for the cover over the hole for the tranny/tcase levers.

EDIT: i did not use the 4wd deluxe tub on my 86 and wish i had. the video is ancient compared to the new bodies.
                Last edited by FUBAR; 07-12-2006, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Angled #3 mount

I had to cut the rubber at a 7 degree angle on a chop saw to compensate for the umparrallel surfaces. it seemed to work out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1tuffcj
                    on my crossmember there is a hole that lines up with the half moon piece on the tub it's the the outer most hole about 1/2" to 9/16" is this the right hole for the rear tub mount. thanks in advance.
                    My tub is a 1999...but this is the rear mount. (I made a new crossmember recently so the mount doesn't sit right.)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...37_59_full.jpg

also still need ome help with #3 tub mount it's at a slight angle like the floor inside right before it steps up to the rear deck .
                    The new tubs might have changed...but I have a flat reinforced area on mine. Can you take a pic of it to post?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ5311
                      I had to cut the rubber at a 7 degree angle on a chop saw to compensate for the umparrallel surfaces. it seemed to work out fine.
                      thanks i'm glad somebody understood what i was trying to say about the angle on the tub mount. do you still cut #2 at 2" then lift it tell it's level with the frame then cut #3 to fit. thanks alot post some pictures

Comment

Originally posted by FUBAR
                        with mine, i put the second mount from the front under the seat bracket. it can really be where ever you want it since you're drilling the hole. i also kept my stock grille (FYI, hind sight i'd have gone with glass) and i needed a spacer. I used prothane 1" body lift mounts and had to cut all but the firewall and the ones over the rear axle. i do not have any body mount material on the rear crossmember. a little extra body lift is great for working on the jeep and for keeping it cleaned. i had to lengthen my clutch rod and steering shaft because of it though. not really a problem since i can weld. the hole in the floor isn't a problem either. since you're cutting the hole you can make it where ever you want. i did get some diamond plate alum and cut it for the cover over the hole for the tranny/tcase levers.

EDIT: i did not use the 4wd deluxe tub on my 86 and wish i had. the video is ancient compared to the new bodies.
                        why don't you lke the steel grill, and when you say 1" spacer do you mean for the grill or the body mounts. i think on the newer bodys theres a space at the rear crossmember

Comment

crossmember

thanks motorhead thats the picture i wanted. is my body gona be flush with the crossmember, take a picture if you can. is the #2 mount on the frame gona be flush with the fire wall like they say in the vidieo . thanks in advance

Comment

That's what mine looks like. I have 4 of these across the back that fits the rear cross memeber. My frame only had two holes and in the wrong place.

My #3 position is also flat but I also have an old tub.

Here you can see me setting up to put the mounts on:
                            http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...Top-View-1.jpg

This was before I realized I needed 4 mounts across the back crossmember.

I went with the stainless mounting kit for my tub. The first kit rusted away.
                            Last edited by John Strenk; 07-13-2006, 06:28 AM.

Comment

OK...part of the confusion (maybe just me), I was calling #1 mount the one by the firewall and #2 and #3 the ones on the plate supplied in the kit.

is the #2 mount on the frame gona be flush with the fire wall like they say in the vidieo
                              This is were you start. I cut the four 2" body mounts and set them on the plate. Set the tub on them. Make sure the tub is flush with the firewall and then center it on the frame. Then go around and measure the rest of the mounts cutting them a little longer to allow for squish.

is my body gona be flush with the crossmember
                              Yes, your tub should sit flush with the rear crossmember also but my last jeep was a little of for some reason. I think the tub is actually out of square because my hard top doesn't fit right either. Someone at 4WD must have been a little under the weather that day.

Originally posted by John Strenk
                              I went with the stainless mounting kit for my tub. The first kit rusted away.
                              Stainless is definitely the way to go! Wish I did the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X