Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT AM I LOOKING AT UNDER THE HOOD OF MY 85 CJ7?

Standing in front of the jeep, what is the round canister with two vacumn lines going into it(small coffee can size) that is below the battery(left side below battery tray attached to wheelwell). The reason I ask is that the top of the canister is cracked and needs replacement.

that is, what i think is a Vapor Canister(mine is towards the front near the radiator)....follow the lines..they prolly go towards ur fuel bowl and an egr

-goat

Comment

I'm betting like goat, it sounds like it's your emissions canister or what is commonly refered to as the charcol canister. Basically it just helps to filter some of the emission gasses before they're released into the atmosphere. Depending on your engine set up and what your states emission laws are like, you might beable to just get rid of it (it seems anymore that this is pretty unlikely though).

Matt

Comment

On the battery side? I think that is the vacuum reservoir. The evaporation canister is on the driver’s side. Here is a web page that has the 258-emission equipment. Click on Vacuum hoses and see if you can trace it to the part your looking for:
        http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/25...dex.htm#engine Hope this helps.

Comment

well, i guess its different bc i had a four cylinder and the vapor canister is on the passenger side towards the radiator..

-goat

Comment

If I remember right, that’s where it was on my old CJ with a 4 banger. But the vapor canister will have 3 or 4 lines going to it. The vacuum reservoir only has 2. Hope this helps.

Comment

If I remember right, that’s where it was on my old CJ with a 4 banger. But the vapor canister will have 3 or 4 lines going to it. The vacuum reservoir only has 2. Hope this helps.

Comment

Comment

TK-
                  Looks like the Vacumn reservoir....thanks, that is sort of what I was thinking. Now I just gotta find one.
                  BM

Comment

yeah tkcomer was right....was right....was right....and was right again.

Comment

Sorry about that. Got that “Could not find server” error. Kept trying and ended up with 3 posts. I’ll know better next time.

Comment

ALL-
                        I found a reservoir..had to go through the dealership and get it about 4 states away from Cal. Pretty slick...the canister is gone;it is a hi-tech round globe shaped thing that is now 1/2 the size and almost fits into the palm of your hand. I looked high and low and JEEP came through for me. Good for future reference!

Comment

Working...
                        X