X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle Problem

I had a bad inner wheel bearing on the left front of my CJ5. Rather than try to clean up the old spindle I ordered a replacement from a 4wd parts house. They shipped me the parts quickly, two days, interestingly though after I bolted the new spindle on and went to put the hub assembly on I met with resistance. I unbolted the new spindle and tried to slide the new bearing on without the hub to check the fit. The bearing will not go on. I have tried a couple of different manufacturers of bearings to make sure I was given the right one, they wouldnt fit either. My question is, has anyone run into this situation before? I talked to the part house and they told me it was the correct part and they had not seen this happen before. I have ordered another spindle from a different house and in the meantime of awaiting its arrival, I am trying to clean up the burrs on the old spindle. Since the spindle is a machined milled piece I find it a little strange it would be out of tolerance enough for the bearings not to slide on. BTW, the outer bearing would not fit on the new spindle either. Thanks for any info.

make sure you are putting the correct bearing on first as they are different inner and outer--make sure they are perfectly straight and add a small amount of grease on the spindle to help slide it on--should go on with no problems

good luck

Comment

Is it possible a previous owner swapped a different axle in there?

Comment

what year??

are pre and post 76 cj5 spindles different??

I would think dana 30 spindles are all the same....but......we ran into brake rotors on a 99tj that were exacltly the same besides an 1/8 " backspace difference that caused the rotor to bind to the pads.......why would they change this ever so slightly is what gets me......it actuall turned out to be a 99 tj with 2000 axles on it, that was the difference.......

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, Its an '81. It is possible that the axles were changed but the problem is with the spindle. Pretty much all years took the same spindle if they had disc brakes. The bearing has so little clearance if it isnt lined up perfectly it wont go on far enough to get the outer bearing in place to put the lock tabs and nuts on. Its baffling, I have changed many bearings on many different vehicles but never seen a problem like this. Oh well, I am still working on it.

Comment

Working...
          X