X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed transmission

I am in the process of rebuilding a '78 cj7 and would like to change the stock 3 speed transmission to a 4 speed with over drive or a straight 5 speed. Does any one have nay suggestions. I would like something that is not going to break the bank, is going to be reliable, and also has been done with success before.

NV4500

Comment

NV3550 out of late model TJ will also work.

Comment

Or course the NV4500 is the prime canidate but it's not cheap. If your not into hard offroad use the T-5 out of later CJ's can be had cheap. The GM np435 had a OD in some cases along with the granny low usually in the late 80's chevy's it's a tuff 4 spd. I wouldn't change it till I could afford a NV4500 IMHO. Thats my next trans, I run a T-18a now.

Comment

i had a t-5 in my previous jeep and it served me well. very well actualy. i had 33's and 4" lift and offroaded whenever i got the chance. i now have a new jeep cause i rolled that jeep. so, i have a t-5 if u are interested in gettin one cheep.

Comment

I would say T5 as well. I have NV4500 and it is expensive. Even if the tranny is cheap..it is pricey by the time it is done. T5's came stock in CJ's so it will be easy to get it to fit and find all the right parts for when necessary.

Comment

You didn't mention what engine you have in the '78 CJ7 you are rebuilding. Stay away from the T5 if you are running a V8. If you have to have a 5 speed, go with the NV4500 or NV3550 behind a V8.

Comment

granted mine doesn't always run, but i have a very strong V8 in front of a t5 and it holds up well. i'm into the skinny pedal a lot to.

Comment

I agree wih Fubar because of price difference, you could buy a few t-5's for the price of the nv4500.

I destroyed a few t-4's but can't swing the price on the nv.

Comment

I have a 258. I plan on building it up a little. My only concern is will a T-5 work with scout axles. I am not sure which side the front axle is offset. Let me know if any knows if this will work. I also am planning on running 4.09 gears with 33 or 34 inch tires. Please let me know.

Comment

It would be your transfer case that would give you the problems. The dana 20 and 300 both have passenger side drops. Your front driveshaft will need to be longer I'm pretty sure because the trans will be longer. The scout axles should have a passenger side drop which would work with any CJ. You definitely could use a T 5 with the 258.

My 0.02

High5

Comment

Thanks for all the imput. If anyone else has comments all are welcome. The more information I get the better the rebuild will go. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X