X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I tighten my steering?

I have a 1980 CJ 5. The steering is very loose on it. I was wondering if you can tighten it and if so how? It dosn't have power steering.

box

old tired steering box. I'm guessing you have manuel steering. You can rebuild or replace your box. There are also other ways to improve the steering by replacing the bushings on the steering linkage, but that doesn't do much.

Comment

on top of the box there is a screw and nut back the nut off a little and turn the screw in BUT DO NOT TURN THE SCREW VERY MUCH AT A TIME or you can wast a box real fast

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz401
        on top of the box there is a screw and nut back the nut off a little and turn the screw in BUT DO NOT TURN THE SCREW VERY MUCH AT A TIME or you can waste a box real fast
        Ditto

Comment

good advice...

Old CJ, despite the 'post count' I'm quite the learner here. With that said, I scrutinize the hell out of a great deal of things that are posted and I have learned a certain amount while being kicked around by Myrtle. Fuzz is like a rock. His 'word' also got a thumbs up from Motorhead. (That means if you don't listen to them then you shouldn't have had to post the question...)

All I can add is that if you don't have a factory service manual you should invest in one if you feel your Jeep is worth keeping. Good luck with your Heap, man.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Comment

Fuzz is like a rock. His 'word' also got a thumbs up from Motorhead. (That means if you don't listen to them then you shouldn't have had to post the question...)
            ahhh geee

Comment

Might want to check your tie rod ends as well. They can cause a lot of play in your steering. I would look at those before you mess with the box. Once you get them replaced then fool with the box if its still to loose.

Comment

Steering box brackets that have worked loose and lower steering shaft coupling being bad can also cause excessive slop in steering.

Comment

Originally posted by woody
                  Steering box brackets that have worked loose and lower steering shaft coupling being bad can also cause excessive slop in steering.
                  This is true... I just noticed durning my lunch time one of the bolts in the frame walked out! (Note: Not one of the bolts that holds the spring hanger in place).

Comment

Working...
                  X