X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap parts

I have been collecting parts for my engine swap for some time and I am starting down the home stretch (I think). I am putting in a 4.3 liter TBI V6. I am going to put it in front of the T5 untill I can get a better 5spd tranny behind it. I have the Iron duke to T5 bellhousing and the rare 1 pc rear main 153 tooth flywheel in my shed already. The one thing I can't seem to find is the flywheel inspection cover. Does anyone make a new one for the Iron Duke engine? Or will I need a different one? I would really rather not get out the aviation snips if I can avoid it.

a helpful clue?

Tracaym, check Woody's post here:

http://www.4wd.com/kyoung_4wdforums/...ad.php?t=17447

Maybe that'll help. I don't know a yes or no, myself.

Comment

I believe that the inspection plate is the same on the "Iron Duke" bellhousing as all pre '86 GM small (12 3/4") 90 deg bellhousings. I made the one that is on my jeep out of sheetmetal. I now have another sitting on the shelf If you don't have any luck finding one, let me know, I suppose I could make another one.

Comment

I have the stock T4-T5-SR4 to the 151 iron duke bellhousing. Is that also the T176 housing? I remember reading somewhere about the T176 using that housing, but I could be mistaken. If the stock GM plate will fit, that would certainly make things easier, even if I had to do some trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by tracraym
          I have the stock T4-T5-SR4 to the 151 iron duke bellhousing. Is that also the T176 housing? I remember reading somewhere about the T176 using that housing, but I could be mistaken. If the stock GM plate will fit, that would certainly make things easier, even if I had to do some trimming.
          As far as I know all of the Iron Duke bellhousings used in jeeps were all cast for both transmissions. Not all were drilled and tapped for both patterns, but they are cast for both. If the correct holes aren't there just mark, drill and tap. Thats what I had to do. Also, I had to do a little grinding on the inside webbing of the bellhousing to clear the flywheel. Just bolt the housing on and turn the motor over while on the stand to make sure it turns freely.

Comment

It will be a little while yet before I can put it all together, I have to build my own harness for the TBI. I know I could spend $300 and get one ready made, but I have two options, stock GM length (which will be about 6" too short) or stock + 3 feet. If I build it myself I will end up spending about $150 in parts and it will fit exactly the way I want it to.

I am thinking of leaving the trany in the stock position and just letting the motor sit where she lands. If my estimates are correct that should put the center of gravity of the drive train right at the firewall. If that doent look good, I will slide the trany forward to the old 4 cyl location and then put the motor in front of that. the motor is just a little 4.3 V6, so it should fit really nice in there no matter where I put the tranny.

Will definitely check the flywheel clearance before starting her up. For all the trouble I went through to find a stock camaro 153 tooth flywheel for the 1 pc rear main, that thing is going to work!

Comment

Working...
            X