X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which transmission

Which Jeep manual transmission would be the best fit for a 258 engine. The Axles are scout axles with 4.09 gears and the tires will probably be 33's. Also my intention is to have something that is usable for street and trail. Nothing hardcore either way. Let me know your thoughts.

T176 4 speed bolts right up to the 258.

Comment

yes...

Originally posted by texascj
      T176 4 speed bolts right up to the 258.
      Badge, a friend of mine has the T176 behind a 304 and he beats the CRAP out of it. It's a right decent tranny.

Comment

Times three! I have abused a T-176 behind a mild Chevy 350 running 33s for 6 years! Never let me down.

Comment

Let me put it this way. I mainly plow snow with my jeep so I'm mainly on the road. I have two trannies, a T-18A and a T-177. I'm selling the T-18A. Not that it's a bad tranny but it's geared to low in first for my use. The T-177 is great even with 3.54 gears.

Comment

Another vote here for the t-176. I had it, along with the Dana-300 t-case, behind the 258 in my 86; I plowed snow with my 86 for 4 years without a problem, and that trans is still as good as the day I bought it in 92. It's now in my 79 w/304. It's a tough tranny. They call it a mid-duty trans, but it takes a lot of abuse.

Comment

Put me down for a T-176 vote. They are tough trannies, they can handle anything a Jeep can dish out.

Comment

I am not sure if this is going to change things or not. I will need a transfer case that will have a passenger side output due to having scout axles that has a passenger side differential on the front.

Comment

The tranny wont matter as to the drop unless both the front AND rear are offset.

As long as only the front has a passenger side drop, the Dana 300 that bolts onto the T-176 is just fine.

Even if it was the other way there are things you can adapt. But you'll be good with a T-176/Dana 300 combo.

Comment

Working...
                  X