X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock seat setup CJ5 vs. CJ7

Does anybody know if the stock seat setup in the 76-83 CJ5 is the same as the 76-86 setup in the CJ7? Just wondering if I'm going to have to do the same thing in my buddy's 80 CJ5 that I had to do in my 86 CJ7...which was unbolt the entire seat mount from the body just to get to the head of the bolts on the slider. Thanks.
    Jason

I think they are. I gave a set of seat mounts from my 86 CJ7 to a buddy with a 79 CJ5 and as far as I know he bolted them right in. I've never taken a seat off the sliders while they were still mounted in the Jeep. Is the problem that it won't slide back far enough to reach the front slider bolts?

Comment

They should be the same set up if they are stock.

Comment

Thanks guys....yeah, I'm not so sure now that the seats in my CJ were stock...I had to take the entire seat mount out with slider/seat still attached just to get to the slider to pull it back far enough to get to the front 2 bolts, so I could detach seat from slider.....but on my buddy's we just checked out, we didn't have to touch the seat mount at all, we kept it in.....access to all 4 bolts that hold slider to seat mount were easy to get to and allowed us to pull out the seat/slider without touching the seat mount....the difference between his mounts and mine were too drastic for CJ5 and CJ7 for them both to be stock. I think mine were maybe Wrangler mounts put in to the body or something....I'm learning!

Comment

There is a seat bracket break point of 1976-81 (I think 81 1982 for sure)that was the Z-style non-flip setup and CJ5,7&8 are the same. The 1982 (or 1983) CJ7&8 used the flip style(both d/s & p/s) but I dont think they will flip in the CJ5 due to short floor pan length. And yes all will usually require taking the whole seat out and turning over to get slider bolts out. Beware they are some odd ball reverse torx that will strip off easily. Especially if you use a 6 point socket.

Comment

Originally posted by woody
            There is a seat bracket break point of 1976-81 (I think 81 1982 for sure)that was the Z-style non-flip setup and CJ5,7&8 are the same. The 1982 (or 1983) CJ7&8 used the flip style(both d/s & p/s) but I dont think they will flip in the CJ5 due to short floor pan length. And yes all will usually require taking the whole seat out and turning over to get slider bolts out. Beware they are some odd ball reverse torx that will strip off easily. Especially if you use a 6 point socket.
            Just for statistics sake, in 1981 I bought a new CJ7 Renegade that had the z-style non-flip seat bracket on the driver's side, and the flip style on the passenger side. I also test-drove a CJ5 Renegade the same day that had the same setup. They both also had the slider on the driver's side only.

Comment

I sold the stock seats from my CJ5. The pass. side was a flip up with a slider, and the D/s was just a slider. I had to cut the crap torx bolts to get them off, and I replaced them with the bigger black bestop screws, and they fit the same and have a philips head on them.
              Last edited by BustaBizz; 08-03-2006, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Well, finally got em off....yeah, the torx sockets were a royal pain...after stripping them down to a little pile of metal shavings, I finally had to use an air grinder to cut them off....driver side had a slider that I took off with the seat....pass side had no slider, simply seat to stock mount...that was easy. The slider on the driver side was the biggest issue, but all in all, I got er done and it wasn't that bad. At least I'll know what to expect for my next swap! Thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
                X