X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Differential AMC 20

I recently swapped out my old stock AMC 20 axle shafts with some Moser's and my CJ's a rippin machine! I definatley need to do a fluid swap. Does anyone have some recommendations for what type of fluid I should use in my rear diff? I have one rec for GL-5 but what weight would I use?
    Any advice will help .....
    Thanks!

GL-5 ??? guess I need to get out more,, the ole school uses 90 weight gear oil / grease

Kelse

Comment

gl-5 is just a grade of quality. Use 80w90 in your rear end. if you buy a name brand that you have heard of, it will be gl5. such as valvoline, havoline, penzoil, chevron, so on.

Comment

Synthetic all the way, period!

Synthetic lubes better, resists heat, moisture and pressure better, lasts longer and can save you money.

Because it is so much better at lubricating parts, you can (and most likely will ) see improvements in fuel economy by using synthetic gearlube. the general used synthetic lube to boost the economy numbers for camaros, they got about 5-7% (if I remember correctly) better with synthetic in the diff as opposed to conventional of the same weight.

Comment

Valvoline 75-140 ...

Comment

if the carrior is a track-lok you might want to add a additive for the clutch plates

Comment

Royal Purple is awesome. Pricey but awesome. It stinks too.

Comment

I use 75-140 in the AMC20 of the CJ

Comment

85-90w is what I use

Comment

Originally posted by texascj
                    Royal Purple is awesome. Pricey but awesome. It stinks too.
                    That's what I use. 75W 90 It does cost more, but not that much once you consider how much it takes and how often you actually change it. I use that in my truck, Jeep, and the wife's camaro. I have been really pleased.

Most newer cars are requiring gear lubes similar to this nowdays anyway.

Comment

Or you can use Chevron Delo ESI 80w90, which will give you better protection than a synthetic @ half the cost!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 77JIMY
                        Or you can use Chevron Delo ESI 80w90, which will give you better protection than a synthetic @ half the cost!!!!

I think you need to supply a source for that claim in order to avoid this:

And I'm talking ASME test results, not just opinion please.

Not trying to be an arse, but I have never heard of a conventional oil outperforming a quality synthetic.

Comment

ditto...

Originally posted by tracraym
                          I think you need to supply a source for that claim in order to avoid this:

And I'm talking ASME test results, not just opinion please.

Not trying to be an arse, but I have never heard of a conventional oil outperforming a quality synthetic.
                          I saw that post yesterday and didn't respond because I've already offended him once with my 'opinion' on sythetic versus conventional.

It's not an 'arse' thing at all, Tracaym. People are coming here for what they hope is factual information to the best of a poster's knowledge. I realize that there is considerable more expense 'dollar wise' for synthetics and it boils down to an 'each his own' thing. However, the superior performance of one product over the other shouldn't be up for debate.

Comment

nobody is being an arse, nore has anybody ever offended me with an opinion, its just that being a lubrcant distributor i deal with this stuff day in day out so it happens to be something i have strong opinions about. As for Chevron Delo ESI 80w90, it has made product of the year 3 of the last 6 years!! It is also the only non-synthetic product to meet Eaton's 500,000 mile Extended warrenty!!http://www.chevrondelo.com/en/produc...il/default.asp
                            As for the the info on Delo vs Synthetic performance give me an address, I will mail you the printout as that part of the chevron site is down, sorry. Like i have said before I do believe synthetics have a place! Just not in my book.

Comment

Summers Axels are more expensive but you get more for your money in my opinion since the seal & bearing retainer has a zerk so one can lube their bearings haven't heard of anyone else with this addition.http://www.summersbrothersracing.com axel # for amc 20 wide track is 21572 they're approx $700 with bearings,seals and shims,when mine were pulled the bearings had ample grease and were in perfect condition but had to be destroyed to get the brake backing plate for reuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X