X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj hood prop rod

Anyone have a picture of where the bottom of the hood rod fits on a cj 5 75 model. I turned the little round thing on the bar up and the rod goes in it.........is that the right way to install it?

Are you talking where is sits when the hood is up or down. When the hood is up it goes in the bracket mounted to the strut rod. When it is down it wedges in between a hunk of steel and a half moon bracket.

Comment

hood rod

Yes i have bracket on hood that holds the rod.........but on the strut brace does the hole in the barcket that the hood rod goes in turn up or under the strut brace?

Comment

It goes above. I'll try and snap a pic and post when I can.

Comment

hood rod

That would help a lot.
          Thanks
          Jack

Comment

Hope this helps.

http://webpages.charter.net/xlr8n/pi...p/rodprop1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/xlr8n/pi...p/rodprop2.jpg

Comment

Once, I was standing on the bumper leaning over the engine checking the PVC valve and I bumped the prop and the prop rod fell through the damn hole. The hood hit me in the head and shoulders so hard I fell on the engine, and it hurt like hell. Just thought I would share one of stupid stories with you.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaBizz
                Once, I was standing on the bumper leaning over the engine checking the PVC valve and I bumped the prop and the prop rod fell through the damn hole. The hood hit me in the head and shoulders so hard I fell on the engine, and it hurt like hell. Just thought I would share one of stupid stories with you.

Been there done that have the scar to remember it.
                If your holder is bent upwards to much this can happen. It is designed to hit the strut rod(that little C shaped part) to keep the hood from crashing down.
                I am a slow learner, it took two times hitting me in the head before I figured out how it was supposed to be mounted.

Comment

hood rod

Thanks we had it on right......but it is such a sorry design i thought it may have been installed wrong.
                  Thanks Again
                  Jack

Comment

Mine is missing. Anyone know where to buy this piece that mounts on the strut?

Comment

hood rod

I don't know where you can fine one but as sorry as they were made i would think it would not be very hard to make something that would work much better and not let the hood fall on you.

Comment

Make it, I did. Take a piece of 1 1/2" metal bar (1/8" thick). Drill a hole for the strut. Bend it. Either burn a slot or drill a couple holes and file the roughness off between the holes for the prop. A little paint. Not OEM but does the job.

Comment

Or you can just lay the hood back against the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by meich75
                            Or you can just lay the hood back against the windshield.
                            Wha?... you mean they'll DO that? Meich, wouldn't that take all the excitment of the hood falling on you? Some guys always want the easy way out...

Comment

I have tried that before, but with the light bar and 4 KC lights sticking out in front of the windshield...it doesn't work as well. I have thought of using a bungee cord to hold it to the lightbar, but just haven't done that yet.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X